There is room for error

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Well, my happy discovery of the New Year is that there IS room for error when smoking ribs on the WSM. I began by printing out and following the instructions for the BRITU ribs. That's when things went their own way. The ribs I bought were frozen, so I thawed them in the microwave and then in hot water. Didn't seem to hurt a thing, although getting the membrane off of wet ribs isn't easy... The rub was great and easy to make. Next "issue" was that I didn't really have time to let the WSM sit for an hour after lighting the coals (something about proper prior planning...). Temperature control is easy on the WSM--and having the remote probe thermometer gives GREAT peace of mind. Well, I left the ribs in the smoker until we were ready to eat, a total of four hours. A quick brush with the sauce, and they were DELICIOUS. I sure am glad I got the WSM. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Congratulations Steve, I'm glad all worked well for you. Next time a little planning will make the mind game a little easier. Welcome aboard!

Yes, as we used to say in the Navy, PPPPPPP -- it's all about proper prior planning... Anyway, what's truly encouraging is the performance by the WSM, and all the incredible help that's available here in the Forums. Yes, next time I will plan better, and (undoubtedly) have better results. In the end, though, ain't it great that ribs done on the smoker taste so good...

Steve, it's great to be able to wing it like you did! Half my cooks throw me a curve ball at some point. It's what makes Q'n so much fun.

Good job!

Steve, what's even better about the remote probe is you don't have to walk outside to check the temp of the food/smoker when the temp is around zero outside. I don't think that is something you have to worry about where you live though! I did ribs on Friday (spares) and the Wife learned a lesson, don't rush the cook! Everyone was "starving" so I pulled them off about an hour before I wanted to. They were great tasting, but not falling off the bone done. Enjoy!

Steve,
Bob makes a good point. I had the same problem - hungry people. So I pulled them too early. I suspect you did too as four hours is not typically enough time for ribs to be falling off the bone done. I also didn't give myself enough time for the amount of ribs I was doing (9 slabs). I usually do ribs for about 6 to 7 hours when I do 3 slabs. This time I pulled them after about 8 hours and they were not quite done. Like you and Bob, the taste was good and no one complained (too busy eating), but I knew they could have been better. Oh well, I'll do better next year.

As I now know, TIME is one of the critical factors. I've also seen in some these forums the suggestion that after three hours or so the cook wrap the ribs in aluminum foil and cook that way for an hour or so, then remove the foil, give a light brush of sauce, and continue cooking for yet another hour. Supposedly that's the way to get the ribs really falling off the bone tender.
icon_smile.gif

Back