Them grey plastic style shelves and ends

Paul Warner

TVWBB Super Fan
im sure this been asked numerous times but here goes. What technique/product does one use to
bring life back to the grey plastic parts on a typical Genesis silver grill. I find the ends which house
the tool hooks to fade the most rather than the shelves themselves.

I was watching some car detailing recently and they seem to have products to make everything
sparkle!! Thanks in advance.

IMG_0819.jpg

I use bleach. Just apply some straight bleach (wear gloves) to the parts and keep dabbing it on to keep them moist for a few minutes. Then dip a green scrubby into the bleach and start scrubbing. 9/10 you will have the tables and gray end pieces cleaned up in no time. Then after they dry, apply some automotive vinyl protectant to them to bring back the luster. I use Aerospace 303 protectant as it has some good UV protectant in it.
If the thermoset shelves don't clean up enough (unlikely), then you can actually sand them until they are clean. Then apply the protectant once again.

I also grab a small container and put half bleach, half water in it and then place the knobs and igniter switch in it for a couple hours or over night. Then a quick scrub and they will look like new as well.

20220726 Genesis Silver B - Blue Head (1).jpg

After a bleach clean up I would really like to do a dye color change on shelves and end caps, say end caps darker black verses a deep gray on the reat.
Has anyone done this?

I use bleach. Just apply some straight bleach (wear gloves) to the parts and keep dabbing it on to keep them moist for a few minutes. Then dip a green scrubby into the bleach and start scrubbing. 9/10 you will have the tables and gray end pieces cleaned up in no time. Then after they dry, apply some automotive vinyl protectant to them to bring back the luster. I use Aerospace 303 protectant as it has some good UV protectant in it.
If the thermoset shelves don't clean up enough (unlikely), then you can actually sand them until they are clean. Then apply the protectant once again.

I also grab a small container and put half bleach, half water in it and then place the knobs and igniter switch in it for a couple hours or over night. Then a quick scrub and they will look like new as well.

View attachment 57588
Bruce, thanks. I have one to do so will follow your guide

Back