Them bones, them bones, them ... dry bones

Joey K

TVWBB Member
Okay I couldn't resist that one. My kids have this kids song CD with that song on it and when ever I smoke ribs I always think of that song.

So I smoked the other slab of spares that came in the cryo pack from Costco this weekend. Had some left over seasonings from my first BRITU method so I figured I'd finish those off before giving the next recipe a go. This was my first smoke with my tel-tru mod. So I fired up a chimney full of briquetts (I always get in a hurry and dump the chimney in with probably only 1/2 actually lit) and dumped it in followed by another unlit on top of that. Three large chunks of cherry wood. Assembled the smoker and loaded up the bones. Following the advice on the BRITU method I closed all 3 of the bottom vents and let 'er rip. Temps never rose above 250 at the lid the entire cook. Which wasn't what worried me, the thing that did worry me was that they never droped below 250 the entire time dispite the completely closed vents. The ribs came out really good, ended up leaving them on the smoke a bit longer than I expected to and the bark got very very 'barky'. Some would argue that a good bark is desirable (and I agree), but the folks I was feeding mentioned a few times that it was a bit tough. Maybe I'll foil next time or even foil and let them rest a bit just to soften up that bark a bit.

Anyways back to the Smoker. I was pretty discoraged by the temps of this smoke. I felt like if I ever needed to bring the temps down from 250 I'd be in trouble because the vents were already closed. So after the cook I broke out the tape and measured each part. Bowl and center ring were way out of round. I knew this was the case already because right when I pulled them out of the box the center ring wouldn't even fit in the bowl. I had to push down really hard and then it slipped in. But, I decided that I would call Weber this morning and see what they said. Asked me for my "serial" number and my address and said I should be seeing them in 7 - 10 days. Weber rocks!

I hope that my call to them wasn't too hasty but ... even if it was its a bit too late for regrets now
icon_wink.gif

Bummer about the center ring being out of round but happy Weber is helping you out. As far as the temp not dropping down with all of the vents closed, It may be that you added too many coals? I usually dump one full chimney of unlit in the charcoal bowl then carve out a spot in the middle where I add 10 – 15 hot coals. It seems to work very well, give it a try and good luck.

Back