The wife requested a "NO SMOKE" dinner.

Those look pretty good, but I have to ask what is Chow Chow?

Chow chow is a green tomato relish. Something we make a bunch of every fall.

Here's the base recipe that I use for making Chow Chow. I add chopped celery every time we make it. I also add some sort of hot peppers (what ever I am growing). This batch got two whole Thai Chiles per jar.
I also add a couple cups of chopper celery.

Ingredients:

5 cups coarsely chopped green tomatoes (about 5 tomatoes)

5 cups coarsely chopped cabbage (about 1 1/2 pounds cabbage)

1 1/2 cups finely chopped yellow onion or sweet onion

2 cups coarsely chopped bell pepper, at least 1 red for color (about 4 peppers)

1/3 cup kosher salt or pickling salt

2 1/2 cups cider vinegar

1 cup light brown sugar, packed

1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds

2 cloves garlic, finely minced

1 teaspoon celery seed

1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, or to taste, optional

Preparation:

Combine the chopped vegetables in a large nonreactive kettle or bowl. Add the salt and stir to combine thoroughly. Cover and let stand for 4 hours or refrigerate overnight.

Prepare the canner and jars. Add water to a canner with rack and heat to a boil; reduce heat and keep at a simmer. The water should be high enough to be at least 1 inch above the filled jars. I usually fill it about halfway and I keep a kettle or saucepan of water boiling on another burner to add to the canner as needed. Wash jars thoroughly and heat water in a small saucepan; put the lids in the saucepan and bring almost to the boil; lower heat to very low to keep the lids hot.

Drain the vegetables and rinse thoroughly.

In a large nonreactive kettle, bring the vinegar, brown sugar, and seeds and spices to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and continue simmering for 5 minutes. Add the drained vegetables and bring back to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.

With a slotted spoon, pack the vegetables into prepared jars. Cover vegetables with the pickling liquid, leaving about 1/4-inch headspace.

With a clean dampened cloth, wipe the rims of the jars. Place the flat lids on the jars then close caps with screw-on rings tightly, but do not over-tighten. Arrange the filled jars in the canner and add more water, as needed, to be at least 1 inch above the jars. Bring to a full boil. Cover and continue boiling for 10 minutes. Remove the relish to a rack to cool completely.

Check for seals (the middle of the caps should have made a popping sound while cooling and will stay depressed.

Makes about 4 pints.

I think the angle pic-extreme close up-cut offs don't do the food you made justice ... but that's just one guy's opinion.

Actually, I was really admiring the close-up photos. I am only viewing on my phone, but the photo quality is awesome! Nice post.

Back