The Whole Hog

Dave K

TVWBB Pro
My first pig is chillin right now, its getting delivered tommorrow with some other meat orders that I have. The beast weighed in at 165 lbs dressed. The butcher is going to brine, stuff, and wrap in foil for me, so all I have to do is slide in the spit and away we go. Hoping to eat at 8 p.m. tommorrow. With any luck the pig will be here by 10 a.m. so I can have it ready for then. Planning on cooking around 350*f to an internal of 170 or so in the hams and butt.

Sorry guys, no digital camera here, I cant post pictures. We are looking to feed 100 people on Fri, with another 30 or so on Sun for lunch.

The setup that I am using is an oil drum that used to be used for my furnace. I cut the top to make a door, bought a spit and gearbox, (the spit makes 4 rpm when empty), and have plans for a Stainless Steel grate that I can use to BBQ chops, burgers etc... on if necessary

I'm jealous! I tried to score a suckling for july 4th, but they wanted 10/lb for a small one. the bigger ones were 20-30lbs, $5.99/lb, but no guarantee if it'll be 20 or 30. Didn't grab it because I didn't think a 30lb fit on a ez-que 8" basket EP-320.

I totally wish you could take some pics, I am anxious to do a small one soon.

The pig is done, we fed about 70 people on Fri, 30 or so to go on Sunday. I am glad the pig wasn't any bigger, it only had an inch of room on my cooker. Ended up cooking at a high heat for around 5-6 hrs to an internal of 190 when we pulled it off the fire. Lots of good reviews at the dinner though, people seemed to really liked it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Dang:
I'm jealous! I tried to score a suckling for july 4th, but they wanted 10/lb for a small one. the bigger ones were 20-30lbs, $5.99/lb. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
OUCH! Joe. My butcher that I get my pork bellies from has awsome prices on pork. When I went there last week to get a 40lb case of chicken thighs I checked out the whole hog prices. 35 lb. or less whole hogs were $1.35lb. over 35lb. whole hogs were $1.10 lb. This is for a fully dressed hog, hair removed and all.
Dave, congrats on the cook. Now about that digital camera.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back