the super lazyman's minion method /w an ATC

Yianni

TVWBB Fan
So right now I have a party Q that has been great (currently waiting on my hetermeter board)

I have been using this method for long cooks with my pq for almost a year now and it has not failed me yet.

1. load up your charcoal, pack it nice and neat for a long cook

2. move a couple pieces around in the middle, make a little pyramid with 3-4 pieces

3. place ONE weber firecube/charcoal starter whatever they are called in the middle of that pyramid.

4. light, let it burn for a few minutes, with the door off or whole middle section off.

5. Seal it up, pop on your ATC and you're set

It does take a little bit of time to get up to temp (45 min to an hour) but I have never overshot temps and if you pack them nice and neat I have done 18 hour cooks (with a foiled clay saucer) without having to add on my 18 incher.

It does take a little bit of time to get up to temp (45 min to an hour) but ...

I plan an hour from starting the chimney to get the cooker to temp (using the chimney of lit to place onto the unlit) for a clean burning fire so you're on track.

Last edited:
Danny and R L thx for all your info I have a 18.5 WSM I use both lump and briquettes. I just want to use the clay instead of the water bowl.

For those that plan on using the saucer with the atc remember that your temp will struggle to get above 230. Identify your target temperature. If you are going for 250 and above with the atc do not use the saucer. Trust me I learned the hard way. I have an Auberge atc. Just my .02 cents.

I have an 18.5 using a 12 inch saucer but should be a 14 since it sits in the bowl I'd rater have the lip over the bowl.

I've never had trouble getting it to temp in fact I overshoot in the beginning sometimes.

Also regular Kingsford blue.

So right now I have a party Q that has been great (currently waiting on my hetermeter board)

I have been using this method for long cooks with my pq for almost a year now and it has not failed me yet.

1. load up your charcoal, pack it nice and neat for a long cook

2. move a couple pieces around in the middle, make a little pyramid with 3-4 pieces

3. place ONE weber firecube/charcoal starter whatever they are called in the middle of that pyramid.

4. light, let it burn for a few minutes, with the door off or whole middle section off.

5. Seal it up, pop on your ATC and you're set

It does take a little bit of time to get up to temp (45 min to an hour) but I have never overshot temps and if you pack them nice and neat I have done 18 hour cooks (with a foiled clay saucer) without having to add on my 18 incher.

Do you think this method will work without an ATC?

just picked up a 16" for my 22.5" tonight at HD, do you invert the saucer or just sit it in? I plan on foiling the pan, and the saucer at first then layering a top layer over both and just replacing the top layer after cooks until it all needs replaced later on!
Rene, I use a 16-inch foiled saucer - placed in my foiled water pan - in my 22.5 WSM, with great success...

Regards,

Rooster

"Do you think this method will work without an ATC? " Yes, without an ATC, not enough lit = longer to come to temp. The ATC circulates air so the fire will come to temperature sooner.

"do you invert the saucer or just sit it in? " Doesn't matter much, especially if you are going foil over it. If your top layer of foil leaks it might be better to place the saucer so it could catch some of the spill instead of it running down the sides.

For those that plan on using the saucer with the atc remember that your temp will struggle to get above 230. Identify your target temperature. If you are going for 250 and above with the atc do not use the saucer. Trust me I learned the hard way. I have an Auberge atc. Just my .02 cents.

I have a Stoker ATC and use a 14" foiled clay saucer, and have never had any problems getting to temps over 230. Depending on what I'm cooking, I smoke at 225-275 degrees. No issues getting it up to 275 and holding there for hours. For competition chicken I ramp it up to 325 without a problem.

Back