The "Pull" test

Keith Wilson

TVWBB Fan
I know a lot of you guys pull your ribs to see if they're done. What exactly do you look for when you do this? How can you tell if they're done? What do you use to do this (tongs)? The other question I have is about Basting. I've heard some guys spray with Apple Juice (Why?) Others mop with a BBQ sauce. Do you always have to baste? If not, how do you know when to baste? Thanks for your help in advance. (I'm a rookie).

Keith,

When the meat has pulled back from the bone about a 1/4" or so start checking for doneness.

Here's a few methods:

"Toothpick"- poke your rib meat, if it slides in and out like going into soft butter, they should be done.

"Pull or tear"-give the meat a slight twist or tear, if it tears and separates easily from the bone there done. Or just take off a piece and give it a taste.

Apple juice is for moisture and somewhat flavor, basting is basically for the same reason, keeping your ribs moist during the smoking process. I'll spray mine a couple of times during the cook and baste with my sauce near the end of the cook. That's just the way I do it, everybody has their own techniques.

Good Luck

I think when you go to compete they like 2 ribs together and they pull them apart and like a little tug.
With that said I have eaten some good ribs that the bone just slid out of. I always hate trying to cook for the way someone else likes it. I not a pro so I try to cook ribs to a certain point of tenderness or toughness. Sometimes I make it some times I don't. The main thing is they always taste pretty darn good. Again a little tug is good and i like them that way but when the bone pulls right out they still taste pretty darn good.

To answer your question once the meat begins to pull back from the bone it means they are getting done. You can do different things during the cooking process to make them more tender like foil them. I think practice is the key and what you like.

Originally posted by dsitterson:
I think when you go to compete they like 2 ribs together and they pull them apart and like a little tug.
As a judge, I am NOT used to getting 2 rib bones.
With that said I have eaten some good ribs that the bone just slid out of. I always hate trying to cook for the way someone else likes it. I not a pro so I try to cook ribs to a certain point of tenderness or toughness. Sometimes I make it some times I don't. The main thing is they always taste pretty darn good. Again a little tug is good and i like them that way but when the bone pulls right out they still taste pretty darn good.

If the bone pulls right out (falling off the bone) the KCBS instructs judges that those ribs are overcooked. You should need a slight tug to get the meat off the bone and after you take a bite, a semi-circular bite mark should remain on the rib

Like I said I am not a pro and only cooked in a couple of competions. I have serverd them one rib and 2 ribs I heard some of the judges like 2 ribs to pull them apart to check for toughness. I agree if it just falls off the bone it is over cooked but it still may taste good. As for the 1 or 2 rib it should not make a difference.

That is the big question - who are you cooking them for?

Yourself, then cook 'em any way you like 'em.

Judges then you'd better get it in that narrow window between tough and falling off the bone (like Rich said).

The pull test is grab a tip of a bone in each hand and pull 'em apart. It should tear right down the middle leaving meat on both bones. Doesn't tear easy, it's too tough. One bone pulls away from the meat clean, it's over cooked.

Spray 'em with apple juice if you feel like it, but wait until the rub has set on the meat (coupla hours in) so you don't wash it off with the apple juice.

If you're looking to glaze/sauce 'em, put that on at the very end, maybe 15-30 minutes left to go. Just enough to get the glaze/sauce to carmelize, but not burn.

Just jump in and practice. What's the worst that could happen? You get something pretty good to eat! And every time it gets better.

Thanks guys. One more (stupid) question on this. How do guys grab the bones to check. Them things are hot! I don't think I could hold onto a couple of bones tight/long enough to check without burning my fingers (I know BBQ is a manly sport, am I being a wimp?)

Back