The Most Ribs You've Ever Done?

Robert Fox

TVWBB Member
What is the most slabs you've ever done at one time? I'm doing 11 Baby Backs on Monday for a Tuesday luncheon at work. I'll be using BRITU again as I've never been disappointed, as well as breaking in my newly acquired Klose Rib Racks which hold 5 slabs each. Looks like I'll have to trim a few ribs off the ends as some of these slabs are almost 20" long.

Anyone else done this many at one time before?

Robert,

The most I've ever cooked is 8 full slabs. I'm very curious as to how you are going to get 11 on there.

Please take a picture and post it, if you can.

I'm very curious as to your configuration.

Seems Stogie posted a picture once of how he arranged 14 BB's on one load on a WSM. Can't remember how he did it, though.

Someone a few years ago had a post that explained how they did 18 racks.
With rib racks you can fill them and then lay a rack or racks on top, that would get you a possible 16.
Jim

I like the bamboo skewer rolled rib for increasing capacity. Pretty sure i saw someone post on doing 14 racks. 4 as a base with three stacked on top like a pyramid on both grates.

Chris

The number 14 sticks in my head, too, but I'm not sure why. Kevin Taylor's webpage shows 11 racks of loin backs, pictured here, at the bottom.

As to stacking rolled ribs on the bottom grate, there's only about 7" of clearance-- it would have to be prettty small BBs, if at all.

Doug, those are spares in Stogie's pictures, aren't they? So he can do 11 full racks of SPARES in total (11 1/2 racks on each grate).

Which means, if they'll fit lengthwise, that he could do 22 racks of BBs (but probably more like 18, which is what we're talking about anyway).

Most I have done is 11 full racks. Its was tight but I could have shoe horned a few more half racks
icon_cool.gif
in.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Art B:
Doug, those are spares in Stogie's pictures, aren't they? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
No, they're BBs-- he says that's the only ribs he cooks.

With all the respect due to your Gold status (and me only a Fan!) -- if those were baby backs, those pigs were the size of my Pathfinder.

Note the curvature of the bones and the lack of any evidence of a skirt on the bone sides of the upper photo. They're loin backs cut into half racks.

Fitting 11 slabs was not problem - 5 in the bottom rack and 5 in the top with the 6th slab cut in half and placed on top of the top rack. Of course, the ends of the slabs were kinda' jambed into the side wall of the cooker, but they came out great nonetheless.

The Klose racks are awesome - heavy stainless steel construction, and deep angled slots for the ribs. Expensive, but worth every penny in my opinion.

All-in-all, another outstanding cook !

Doug,

Fair point about the rib curve, and I concede.

However, Stogie does cook spares, at least occasionally: check it out.

Regardless of the ribs Stogie cooks, and how many he cooks at a time, I'm sure they're delicious!

Okay, what the ESP is going on?

I went to the Weber parts store yesterday after work and bought a bottom grate. Now, your asking me if Im adding a 3rd grate. Coincidence or Bruno the parts store guy is feeding you info?

Yes, I am adding a 3rd grate. I am in design stage still though. I want 3 grates with 5 inch seperation between them. I think I know how to accomplish this fairly easily, but my design style is to ponder until I have convinced myself I have the most painless and robust solution.

Seriously, tell me the scoop. Somehow you know I was at Weber yesterday right?
icon_cool.gif

Doug,
You are correct. I want to accomplish it though as middle and top racks connected and bottom rack stand alone. This would require me to fabricate 4 L brackets and drill 4 new holes through center ring and grate straps. Or tack weld them to the existing grate straps?

My purchase of bottom grate is for middle though. These things seem to be somewhat scarse so i grabbed one.

Maybe I oughta start a new thread on this one? (dont want to threadjack Robert's rib discussion)

Maybe you could fabricate 4 "L" brackets and attach them via the upper bracket bolts so that your new middle grate rests about an inch below the upper bolt holes, and then your upper grate would be about 3" above the top of the middle section. Here's a link that might be of additional help:

http://www.ufreak.us/bbqpics.htm

Back