The most ribs I've done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Well, 9 slabs are in the wsm. Ive never done more than three. So far, so good. I'm using BRITU. I'm thinking about 8 hours. I've got the ET-73 hooked up so I don't have to go outside too much. It's nice in Detroitland temperature wise, but it's windy. WSM is up to 220º now so I don't see a problem getting to temp. I'm now wondering if I'll use up too much fuel fighting the wind. We'll see.

I did 6 slabs last Thursday when it was about 9 degrees outside. I used two chimney-fulls of Kingford and in exactly 5 hours, the ribs were cooked to perfection! Fortunately, I had my newly-acquired smoking jacket and GURU that I used in conjunction with my ET-73, so I never had to go out to tweak my bullet.

With the weather we're having today here in the Motown area, I don't think you will have a problem if you use 2 chimney fulls as long as you do something to keep the wind away.

Keep us posted with your results .....

Holding steady at about 240º. When you do this many ribs, does cook time increase? I figured about an extra hour. Even though it's 18lbs of meat, I think I read in here before that it doesn't act like a single piece of meat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When you do this many ribs, does cook time increase? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes, due to the mass of meat in the cooker. With that much meat I would rotate them as well for uniform cooking. Are you doing spares or loin ribs?

I'm doing baby backs. WSM is holding steady at 240º. I bought one of those hot water heater blankets for insurance but have not needed to use it. The wind here is "From the Southwest at 30 gusting to 39 mph", but the temp is awesome at 59.

I rotated them - top rack to bottom and each rack inside to outside. I usually don't touch ribs, but I thought it might be good to rotate them this time.

Update - the cook went well. They could have stayed on a little longer but the gang was hungry. Here's a pic of the ribs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back