The Little Red Bullet Project & EBay Charity Auction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Dear Friends,

Since the early part of this year, I've been working on a project to create a highly customized Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker--I call it "The Little Red Bullet Project."
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>A brand new 2001 WSM with a powder coated exterior finish. The color is called "Little Red Wagon."

<LI>Clear anodized aluminum legs.

<LI>Natural-color wooden lid handle with spar urethane gloss finish.

<LI>Trend Model 33 bimetal thermometer with 4" stem, mounted in the lid.

<LI>Detachable work table mounted on the middle cooking section.

<LI>Stainless steel inset hex head damper fasteners.

<LI>Marked access door knob.

<LI>Four cooking surfaces--two original grates plus two optional grates.

<LI>Modified charcoal grate and small secondary grate to prevent charcoal fall-through.

<LI>Includes a premium, full-length vinyl cover.

<LI>Total project cost: $670.
[/list]
The idea was to have some fun working on the project, to feature the finished project on my Web site this fall, and to eventually donate the cooker to a charitable cause. But with the tragic events of September 11, I realized that this project could serve a higher purpose.

So today I'm announcing that I am selling "The Little Red Bullet" on EBay's "Auction for America". EBay's goal is to help raise $100 million in 100 days in response to the immediate and longer-term needs of the victims, their families, and communities affected by the events of September 11.

100 percent of the winning bid will go to the American Red Cross.

Auction Details<UL TYPE=SQUARE>

<LI>The auction can be found at http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1282572093.

<LI>The auction runs October 6-16.

<LI>Opening bid is only $1.

<LI>The winning bidder will pay EBay directly by credit card or electronic check.

<LI>100 percent of the winning bid will be transmitted directly from EBay to the American Red Cross.

<LI>I will pay for shipping to the winning bidder anywhere in the United States (including Alaska or Hawaii) or Canada.
[/list]
See "The Little Red Bullet"
Pictures of "The Little Red Bullet" and a description of all the modifications that went into this one-of-a kind cooker can be found on my Web site at http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/littleredbullet.html.

Please Bid Generously
If there's one thing I've learned through my involvement with the barbecue community over the last few years, it's that barbecue people are some of the most generous people you'd ever want to know. They're generous in sharing information and knowledge with one another; generous with their friendship and camaraderie; and generous with their support of worthy causes.

I humbly ask that you consider showing your generosity once again by placing a bid on "The Little Red Bullet", knowing that the proceeds will help many people who have suffered greatly and that need our assistance now more than ever.

Sincerely,

Chris Allingham
The Virtual Weber Bullet
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com
mail@virtualweberbullet.com

To learn more about EBay's "Auction for America" program, visit http://pages.ebay.com/auctionforamerica/.

redwsm_montage.jpg

Way to go Chris!!!
Really put a smile on my face to see what you are doing- and Kudos to a job well done!!
Mark (in Joisey)

Very nice job! If I wasn't Broke I'd darn sure bid on it. I see it is climbind toward $400 at this time. Way to go!

How did you get the vents off and back on for the painting? Drill out the center
and bolt them back in?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Couch Potato:
[qb]How did you get the vents off and back on for the painting? Drill out the center
and bolt them back in?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I drilled out the inside of each rivet to weaken it, then used a pair of pliers to crush each rivet on the inside surface of the cooker and popped them out. To reattach the damper vents I used 1/4" x 5/16" stainless steel screws with an inset hex head and split lock washers and nuts.

Regards,
Chris

One word, AWSOME!!!What a nice piece of work Chris. If my loan get's funded before bidding is over that "Little Red Wagon" is mine. What a great cause. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

The auction has official closed and the winning bid was $760! This entire amount will go to The American Red Cross to help with the September 11 relief effort.

I'm very gratified by the response this project has received, and I want to thank all my BBQ friends for their interest, kind words, and especially the participation of those who placed bids.

Best regards,
Chris

Chris,

That is awesome. Big-time Kudos to you and all those who bid.

Kelly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back