The LinkMeter Snapshot and YOU

Brian,
here are my screenshots
Iiiis your servo working properly? I entered the exact same settings you have and set my output to 12%, which gives me the exact same Output 12% / Fan 10% / Servo 88% (fan bouncing between 0 and 10). My damper is open what I'd say is 88%. If I uncheck the invert box, it closes down to around 10%.

Oh wait! Are you saying that your servo operates in reverse, i.e. 1810 is fully closed and 900 is fully open? Ah yes that's kind of a problem because the checkbox was designed to invert the operation of the servo (and the blower too with its checkbox), not flip its endpoints. However, looking at the documentation, looks like I documented it as a way to make the servo go the opposite direction.

I've just fixed the bug/oversight that requires the lower servo number to be the min, but I'm trying to decide if I want the code to work the way the documentation is written or the way it was originally designed. Either way, if you upgrade to 20200210, you can flip the two servo numbers and turn off Invert Servo and I think you'll get what you're expecting.

[Oh wait! Are you saying that your servo operates in reverse, i.e. 1810 is fully closed and 900 is fully open? Ah yes that's kind of a problem because the checkbox was designed to invert the operation of the servo (and the blower too with its checkbox), not flip its endpoints. However, looking at the documentation, looks like I documented it as a way to make the servo go the opposite direction.]

Glad you see what i saw. Will update to latest release and let you know what i get.

I downloaded the latest Snapshot.

My Heatermeter is currently running a cook. I saw the "AVR Firmware" tab on the "config, home, etc." screen. When I open it, it asks if I want to "Update" using one of the three listed methods. Can I just select the "Local Machine" and point it to the .img file for the Snapshot I just downloaded to my hard drive a minute ago?
Nope, not quite. That just upgrades the HeaterMeter itself. The changes to the webui and backend are in the .img file, which is a Pi Firmware image and includes the AVR Firmware. Confusing right?

I just created a wiki page about upgrading to hopefully clear some of this up. Upgrading HeaterMeter Software.

Brian,
just went to download page and downloaded the latest development file dated 10 Feb 2020 with a 14:00 time code like you described and i got a file that had non of the new changes. Looks like something from last week.

Brian,
just went to download page and downloaded the latest development file dated 10 Feb 2020 with a 14:00 time code like you described and i got a file that had non of the new changes. Looks like something from last week.
Oh wow you're right. The "Automatic Wifi Configuration" downloads were building an older version. Updated and all should be working now. Note that you don't need to download a configured version when you upgrade, all your settings are retained if you do it through the webui.

Thanks Brian. Your change worked. Swapped the servo fully open and closed values and then unchecked invert the output. Worked perfect and graph now displays what the damper servo is actually doing. Will test more tomorrow prior to Wednesday rib cook. Download of update worked fine too.

Great thanks for reporting back! I'm trying to decide what to do about the checkbox, because I like the flexibility of being able to set things up to work in reverse (for HeaterMeter to operate in a cooling manner), but I am leaning toward just relabeling the checkbox and making it work as you were using it to simply reverse the servo direction and have it report 0->100% instead of the 100%->0 it does when checked currently.

SNAPSHOT Stuff
I've modified the image builder used by the download website to be much faster and not actually build a custom image every time now. Instead it just takes a stock image and modifies the files on it with the wifi information. It should prevent the problem from yesterday from ever happening again, where it was putting together an old image. This isn't a new feature that users can enjoy, but if anyone grabs a firmware image and the site serves them the wrong thing please let me know so I can investigate. I tried a few different images but I did not test every combination.

New snapshot 20200213
  • [www] Add icon on home page to indicate if alarm high, low, or both is enabled. Tooltip with the values. Tapping the icon for an alarm that is ringing will silence the alarm
  • [www] Fix one visible probe icon limit
  • [www] Added hover tooltips for "Invert direction" on servo and fan on config page

New forums image attachment feature!
alarmsactive.png

EDIT: That 10 minute change to show the alarm bell took 5 hours as it took me an hour to get all the icons to lay out correctly and then I spent 4 hours drawing icons until I made one that could actually be interpreted as an alarm. I asked some friends to look at them and I got responses like "why is it a... pizza?". I am not a good draw-er. :censored:

Last edited:
like the new screen and change of adding the the "tooltip" when hovering over the invert output check box for servo. I did run into something and i am not sure this is an issue, but it is confusing. When you perform a reboot from the config screen, the wheel spins and when the reboot completes, you return to login screen. When you update with the .img from the "backup/firmware" screen , the wheel spins and just keeps on spinning. I always wait 2-3 minutes before leaving screen. Should that work the same as a reboot and return you to the login screen or even home screen when .img flash is complete.

I've honestly not looked at the spinning thingie and just assumed it never worked at all and therefore would be a ton of work to figure out how to get it working. I didn't realize it actually worked somewhere so maybe it will be less work than I expected.

(digs for an hour)

The reason is because they both use completely different methods for polling to see if the server is back up. The one that does the reboot after the upgrade only works if you call it from a CGI script, but all our stuff runs in the in-process LUA engine. I'll patch in a workaround that should work.

SNAPSHOT 20200214
  • [www] Add link to Light home page to the home page
  • [wrt] Fix auto-refresh not working when performing firmware flash upgrade. Obviously this won't take effect until the next next time you upgrade, since the first upgrade will still use the existing broken system

I'd normally wait until I had more to push out but I most the day today reorganizing the download page and its backend so it will publish information that can be pulled from devices, and that warranted a that I test the publishing of a new build. Hoping to get a more intuitive update feature in place tomorrow or Monday because I go back to working at a paying job on Tuesday so time will be short again. Been a pretty good week so far for updates though!

Last edited:
Thanks for the Upgrading HeaterMeter Software wiki addition.

After reading through the AVR vs Pi Firmware section, I still had the lingering question 'when do I need to use the AVR Firmware gui tab to explicitly upgrade the AVR Firmware?'. The main answer I was looking for was buried, but answered: 'Upgrading the Firmware always upgrades the AVR Firmware'. I am making some wiki tweaks to try to emphasize and expand on this and trust you'll make sure I'm not off base.

I also noticed a couple of related things:
  • AVR Firmware for r14 is not posted in /devel/release/bcm2708/14, so it doesn't show up in the options for 'Online repository'. I don't need it, just noticing it's not available.
  • The bundled AVR firmware (/lib/firmware/hm.hex) in r14 and the latest snapshot is dated Nov 6, 2017. The MD5 for this file doesn't match anything posted online.
Are the snapshot builds supposed to be updating /lib/firmware ?

Thanks,
Eric

Last edited:
Oh wow looks like I lost v14 hex file at some point. I've replaced it so it should now appear on the Online Repository list.

You can't trust any of the file dates on your pi, since they're all set to the same date from the LEDE repository. That's how the LEDE imagebuilder builds the filesystem. I'm not sure actual file dates exist in the compressed filesystem. Only files modified have proper dates, and that relies on the clock being correct on the pi. You can see what version your AVR is running on the Configuration page (and coming soon to the AVR Firmware page). v14 is 20170916B and the snapshot should start with 2020xxxxx.

Looks like the current AVR Firmware /devel/snapshots/trunk is 20200209B (heatermeter.hex) while the 20200214 Pi Snapshot I'm using has AVR Firmware /lib/firmware/hm.hex ver 20200210B. I would have thought the AVR trunk would be newer, unless maybe you're manually publishing the trunk snapshot. Is this just a build timing difference?

I don't know what you're talking about (guilty look). Fixed. 20200210B is the latest AVR firmware.

Usually the big snapshot's heatermeter.hex lags behind the one you can get from the AVR Online Repository, but I built that 20200210B AVR to fix a specific issue and forgot to update the Online Repository. I work on the AVR firmware on Windows and everything else is done in Linux, so usually when I want to push out a new AVR for testing, I manually throw it up on the download site in the Online Repository. If it doesn't break anything, it gets copied to the Linux build system for inclusion in the main firmware, which is then built and pushed up to the download site. It is really easy to forget a step since the path doesn't always go the same direction.

The version strings are manually edited when I publish changes, since the modification dates could change if I rebuild the same old version. If the version numbers are the same, it is the same source/build regardless of what the modification times say. I appreciate you taking the time to help get everything to where it is supposed to be.

In one afternoon of working on HeaterMeter, I may work in Linux shell scripting, javascript / jquery, html, css, php, lua, C++, luci, and luci cbi across 2 development platforms, 3 test devices, and 1 web server. Sometimes I get a little confused. 😖

EDIT Did you see my response about the USB-Serial driver? If you can narrow down which driver you need I can probably include it.

I went ahead and updated to the 20200214 file. I see there is something to add link to Light home page to the home page. Not sure what and where to see this addition. Keep looking on graph and config screen for something different. When next update comes i will download the image and update like i sometimes do and report back on the spinning thingy. Enjoy you next contract.

I see there is something to add link to Light home page to the home page. Not sure what and where to see this addition.
It is on the bottom right of the home page, there's a link that says "Low-fi Home" that is an ultra-low bandwidth homepage made for not-so-smart devices or older browsers.

I don't know what you're talking about (guilty look). Fixed. 20200210B is the latest AVR firmware.

Usually the big snapshot's heatermeter.hex lags behind the one you can get from the AVR Online Repository, but I built that 20200210B AVR to fix a specific issue and forgot to update the Online Repository. I work on the AVR firmware on Windows and everything else is done in Linux, so usually when I want to push out a new AVR for testing, I manually throw it up on the download site in the Online Repository. If it doesn't break anything, it gets copied to the Linux build system for inclusion in the main firmware, which is then built and pushed up to the download site. It is really easy to forget a step since the path doesn't always go the same direction.

The version strings are manually edited when I publish changes, since the modification dates could change if I rebuild the same old version. If the version numbers are the same, it is the same source/build regardless of what the modification times say. I appreciate you taking the time to help get everything to where it is supposed to be.

In one afternoon of working on HeaterMeter, I may work in Linux shell scripting, javascript / jquery, html, css, php, lua, C++, luci, and luci cbi across 2 development platforms, 3 test devices, and 1 web server. Sometimes I get a little confused. 😖

EDIT Did you see my response about the USB-Serial driver? If you can narrow down which driver you need I can probably include it.
LOL. All I wanted to confirm was that it's manual ... I totally get it and now understand where to pull from if I ever need to.
And yes, I saw other response. Been traveling this week have not had a chance to figure out which I need. It's on my list for today. Thanks.

I see there is something to add link to Light home page to the home page. Not sure what and where to see this addition. Keep looking on graph and config screen for something different.

looks good on cell phone

Brian
cooking some ribs today and noticed an issue with the fan control. Since the change with the "invert output" highlight tag and the ability to reverse the servo pulse direction calibration, my fan now needs to have the "invert output" box clicked in order for the fan to follow the servo setting that have been reversed . Control works fine once i found issue

current config.jpg

Since the change with the "invert output" highlight tag and the ability to reverse the servo pulse direction calibration, my fan now needs to have the "invert output" box clicked in order for the fan to follow the servo setting that have been reversed
I can't reproduce this. Can you give me an exact output value, what the servo and fan outputs are (from the bar on the home page) and what you're expecting?

I tried this (with both invert checkboxes cleared):
Code:
8% = Fan 0%
10% = Fan 0% (2/92 * 30% max speed = 0.65%)
15% = Fan toggling between 0% and 10% at some low duty cycle (7/92 * 30% = 2.28%)
50% = Fan 13% (42/92 * 30% = 13.7%) 
100% = Fan 30% (92/92 * 30% = 30%)

Back