The learning curve continues

Remember they're not only sold under the Member's Mark name. They're Coleman as well. From my research on places like Reddit and so on, they have a bigger following than one might think. Beside, when the thing first was out early this spring they were $599 and they were flying out the door at my local Sam's club. So let's say Dave is willing to make me a plate and it runs me $150. I really don't care if that's the only thig between me and say another number of years of solid performance. I spent plenty for his grates on a grill that cost me $150 (my Wolf), and I will likely spend a lot more when he builds me new heat tents for it. But, $150 is not the "value" to me of that grill. Likewise if simple addition of a new/improved heat plate and likely better grates in the future keep my $200 "treasure" going great, again: Who's to say what my "value" is on it. Certainly a LOT more than the initial $$$. I place value based on my level of enjoyment and performance received not simply the initial $$$ outlay. And BTW the grates on this thing are VERY heavy, 8 or 9mm wire, welded and finished nicely, well spaced, and porcelain coated. So far cleanup has been as simple as grill is hot, wipe them down with wet cloth and they come out nicely cleaned. Have not needed a brush on them.
I've used that foil trick as well. I just got frustrated with the foil tearing

Different subject now:

I have a slab of back ribs on it right now (currently at 225) and wrapped in brown paper the last 60+ minutes total time on just about 3.5 hours now. I used a basic store bought (Famous Dave's) rub, started them 250, pulled them at about 2hrs 45 min, wrapped, reduced heat to 225 and at about 4 hrs will wrap them further with foil (no not letting it touch the food). Once at my dad's they'll sit in there until I put the steaks on his Genesis, and I will finish them with some sauce and serve with the steak, corn and baked potatoes that will all be done on his Genesis. Hopefully they'll be good!
Sam's likely has an exclusive US distribution deal with the manufacturer. To date, the Coleman is only available in Canada, AFAIK. Whether that will change in the future is anybody's guess, but I hope it will...it's a nice little grill and really easy to operate. The weather here is in the triple digits and like you pointed out earlier, this is pretty much set-and-forget. I can monitor it from inside the house.

I'm on your side. I like this grill.

Well, I guess you have to accept a few short-comings in getting that amazing deal. My Recteq has a light inside similar to what Weber added to the newer SmokeFire “stealth” edition. The glass lense even pops off for easy cleaning.

I agree stainless is easier to clean, but after I do a couple pork shoulders for 12 hours, I am sure glad to be able to remove most of the burnt on mess by just pealing off the foil first.
My eyesight isn't what it used to be, Jon, that's the main problem. The sides on this grill are higher than what I'm accustomed to, also, so not as much light comes in from the sides. I have lights on all my grills, and I borrowed one from the kettle for the time being.

The local ambulance changed companies last summer, and the new ownership is based semi-south and bought each of the three bases a Members Mark pellet. I got looking at them and they actually seem fairly decent especially for the price.

Certainly a viable option for folks not wanting to drop four bills in a first time or not often used item. I say, if they’re a gateway and folks want to upgrade to a bigger unit later, like a Smokefire, then so be it.

Yesterday AM I stuck a slab of back ribs on it. Simple store bought rub. 250deg. At about 3 hours I wrapped them in brown paper stuck them back on down to 220deg. At just shy of 4 hours, pulled them and wrapped the whole bundle with foil and put that in a "hot" pack thermos bag to bring to dad's. Once at dad's I first cooked the corn, took that off, than slapped on the potatoes to get crispy skin (as they were pre-cooked at my house), while potatoes were on, I seasoned up and threw on 2 nice bone in ribeye steaks, and when I pulled them for rest, I slapped the slab of ribs on to heat through and sauce them nicely. Gotta say some of the best ribs I have ever cooked. Gorgeous smoke ring, perfectly tender and meat was easy enough to bite off the bone though did not fall off the bone.
Another outstanding job from that MM pellet unit. Not to beat a dead horse I am really happy I picked that thing up and really glad for those of you who encouraged me to grab it and go. Because, I was REALLY on the fence about it

Sounds like you nailed it Larry. Goes to show you, it's not necessary to spend big bucks to get a good quality pellet grill. My $300 Camp Chef has been faultless. Yes, it's an entry level grill with no Wi-Fi but I use my Thermoworks smoke to monitor it. And it gets the job done every time.

We had the other 2 kids yesterday (grandson and now oldest granddaughter) so figgered I would roast up a whole bird on the pellet popper. Used one of those "beer but" stands (no beer can). Stood it up in a 1/4 sheet pan. Roasted at 400, until nearly finished. Took it out, then finished it on the middle rack of the pellet grill with taters going on bottom rack. Wonderful meal. Even the baby loved it. FWIW I was able to use a large sheet of foil and did manage to get the heat plate covered.
1662467976595.jpeg

Looks great, Larry! I am glad you are having so much fun with your new purchase. I hope the wide, heavy duty foil idea turns out to be a help.

Looks great, Larry! I am glad you are having so much fun with your new purchase. I hope the wide, heavy duty foil idea turns out to be a help.
Me too. Just bought a twin pack at Costco. Not cheap. The stuff I put on there the other day is the really flimsy Member's Mark food service foil. For now doing it's job

Back