THE GRILLING GAME

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I will start it by posting a recipe DH made the other night. Take 1 of the ingredients (except salt or pepper) and use it in a recipe that you will grill and post that recipe and a review. Then someone will do the same (hopefully) with your recipe, and so on.

Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Fresh Peach and Ginger Sauce

1 TB. vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
5 TB. sugar
1 1/2 cups dry red wine
1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
1/4 Balsamic vinegar
2 1/2 TB. finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
3 14 to 16 oz. pork tenderloin
3 medium peaches, blanched in boiling water 1 minute, peeled, pitted, chopped
2 TB. chopped fresh chives

1. Heat oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sugar. Saute until onion is golden, about 6 minutes. Mix in wine and next 5 ingredients. Cook 1 minute longer. Remove from heat. Cool sauce completely.
2. Place pork in large resealable plastic bag. Pour 1 cup of sauce over pork. Seal and refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight, turning meat occasionally. Cover remaining sauce separately and refrigerate.
3. Prepare grill (medium heat). Remove pork from marinade; discard marinade. Grill pork until meat thermometer inserted into center registers 155F, turning often, about 35 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, boil remaining sauce in heavy medium saucepan until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Add peaches. Stir until heated through, about 1 minute.
5. Slice pork and arrange on platter. Spoon some sauce over. Top with chives. Pass remaining sauce separately. Makes 8 servings

Source: Bon Appetit mag. 8-98

DH used 1 tenderloin and marinated it overnight. It was very tasty. We both enjoyed it very much. DH didn't take any pictures. He didn't know I was going to post the recipe and start this game. lol Sorry

Last edited:
OK I’ll play. Take 1 1/2 cups red wine, pour into me while grilling a couple of burgers. Does that count?😀

Take 1 of the ingredients (except salt or pepper) and use it in a recipe that you will grill and post that recipe and a review. Then someone will do the same (hopefully) with your recipe, and so on.

1 cup chopped onion

1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
Marinaded salmon
I like this recipe as it compliments the sweetness of the salmon....

There is no set quantity of ingredients. A little more or less depending on taste and amount of fish.
This is for an approximate 1 lb. salmon fillet….

Apple juice (not cider.) About 4 cups or so. I buy a quart to make sure I have enough. I never tried it with cider but I'm sure it would work.
Onion- white or yellow- about 1/2 to 3/4 cup, diced.
Garlic cloves- 4 or 5 chopped.
Soy sauce- a couple tsps.

Mix the ingredients in a Tupperware. Add fish and ensure decent coverage. Marinate minimum 4-6 hours in the fridge. I like it sweeter so will let it marinate overnight. Grill as you would normally cook fish but reduce the time because it is sugar-cured a little. Sometime I will broil/ bake if it is too cold to cook outside.

I serve with rice and broccoli spears.

One time I forgot I had the mix and it soaked for 4 days. It was practically sugar cured and took very little time on the grill… the longer the marinade, the less cook time.

So now the next player has to use:

salmon or
apple juice or
onion or
garlic or
soy sauce

in their recipe.

Well, how about another SALMON recipe. This is what DH will be grilling for dinner tonight.

Salmon with Citrus-Balsamic Vinaigrette

1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice
2 TB. Balsamic vinegar
juice of 1 lemon
1 TB. olive oil
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh thyme
1 tsp. finely chopped fresh basil
1 tsp. finely minced shallot
1 tsp. Dijon mustard
1 small clove garlic, peeled and pressed
1/8 tsp. sea salt
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 1/4 lb. SALMON fillet
1 lemon, thinly sliced, for garnish
lettuce, for serving

1. Preheat the grill to medium high (425 to 475F). Line a pan with aluminum foil and spray the foil with nonstick cooking or grilling spray.
2. In a blender, combine the orange juice, and other ingredients thru black pepper. Pulse until thoroughly mixed. Set aside a portion for serving.
3. Place SALMON in the prepared pan. Spoon a little of the vinaigrette over the fish and bake it in the grill for 12 minutes per inch of thickness, or until cooked through. The inside should be slightly medium-rare.
4. Remove the SALMON from the pan and arrange it on a bed of lettuce on a serving platter. Spoon the remaining vinaigrette over each serving of fish, garnish with lemon slices, and serve. Serves 4

Source: "1,001 Best Grilling Recipes" - Rick Browne-2011

(side note- I just checked Amazon. There is 1 book left. Back in 2013 I paid $3.92 plus shipping, someone is selling theirs for $920.99 plus shipping- Yikes, I cut my book up)

Last edited:
This is what we will be using from the last recipe posted:

BALSAMIC VINEGAR
SHALLOTS

We will be using it in tonight's dinner of

Grilled Pork Chops with Sour Cherry Sauce

3 TB. BALSAMIC VINEGAR
3 TB. sugar
3/4 cup dry red wine
1/4 cup minced SHALLOT
a 3" cinnamon stick
1 cup chicken broth
1 lb. sour cherries (about 3 cups, pitted)
1 TB. cornstarch dissolved in 1 TB. cold water
2 tsp. fresh lime juice, or to taste
8 1" thick boneless pork chops
vegetable oil for rubbing the chops

1. In a heavy saucepan boil the vinegar with the sugar over moderate heat until the mixture is reduced to a glaze. Add the wine, the shallot, and the cinnamon stick and boil the mixture until it is reduced to about 1/4 cup. Add the broth and the cherries and simmer the sauce for 5 minutes. Stir the cornstarch mixture, add enough of it to the sauce, stirring, to thicken the sauce to the desired consistency, and simmer the sauce for 2 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick, stir in the lime juice and salt and pepper to taste, and keep the sauce warm, covered.
2. Pat the chops dry with paper towels, rub both sides of each chop with oil, and season the chops with salt and pepper. Grill the chops on an oiled rack set 5 to 6" over glowing coals for 6 to 8 minutes on each side, or until they are just cooked through. Transfer the chops to a platter and spoon the sauce over them. Serves 8

Source: Gourmet mag. July 1993

Last edited:
I'm bummed out. What DH wants for dinner tonight does not get grilled. Plus the recipe does not have any of the above ingredients in it so I couldn't use it for the game anyway. lol

But, it is a chicken recipe, so I will post it on the poultry site. Look for it, it is a good sounding recipe from Chef Prudhomme. ;)

The only ingredient from the above recipe that I will be using is

LIME

Grill-Roasted Pork Shoulder Cuban-Style

Marinade:
1/4 cup Triple Sec or Grand Marnier
1/2 cup freshly squeezed LIME
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
2 TB. brown sugar
1 TB. whole cumin seeds
2 TB. chopped fresh oregano or 2 tsp. dried
1 TB. grated lime zest
2 TB. minced garlic
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 TB. olive oil

1 bone-in or boneless Boston butt, 5 to 7 lbs.
Citrus Sauce (recipe below)

1. Make marinade: Combine all ingredients except the meat and Citrus Sauce in a bowl. Set aside 1/3 cup marinade; cover and refrigerate.
2. Marinate pork in refrigerator overnight or up to 2 days.
3. When ready to grill, remove pork from marinade, shake off excess and discard the marinade.
4. Set up a charcoal grill with an equal amount of coals banked on opposite sides and a pan in the center to catch the juice. It takes time to cook the pork, so have extra coals available to replenish the fire.
5. Place the roast over the drip pan. Cover the grill and adjust the vents to maintain a temperature within the grill of between 300F and 325F. Add more charcoal as needed. Check the roast after 2 hours. When the meat is fork tender, transfer the pork to a cutting board and cover with foil. Let rest at least 15 minutes or up to 30 minutes. Carve the roast into 1/4" thick slices and serve with a little of the warm Citrus Sauce. Makes 8 servings.

CITRUS SAUCE
1/3 cup reserved Cuban Marinade
3/5 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup freshly squeezed LIME juice or to taste
1 tsp. sugar or to taste
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 TB. water
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (optional)

Pour all ingredients into a saucepan except cornstarch and cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook 5 minutes. Taste sauce, add lime juice and sugar if needed. Stir in cornstarch mixture; bring to a boil for 30 seconds. Stir in cilantro, if using. Makes about 1 cup.

Source: "Complete Book of Pork" - Bruce Aidell

1613357632798.png
The pork was very good. The cauliflower tots were a last minute substitute for the squash that went bad. The fruit salad was our attempt to try to eat healthier. DH came home yesterday with 9 different types of fruit. :eek:

In case you are wondering what that is in the white bowl. DH cooked another pork butt in the slow cooker in some of the marinade for another nights dinner. I guess he was testing it.

Last edited:

Back