The chocolate rolls in the kettle

Daniel Cárdenas

Hi everyone, i know that has been some time since i tell you guys that i will share the recipe of this rolls, but work keep me very busy, sorry for the delay, if any doubt just ask. hope you like it.

Ingredients:

Starter:

• 125 ml of milk
  • 5 grams of dry yeast
  • 65 grams of bread flour
Rest of the dough:
  • 2 eggs
  • ½ tbsp. of vanilla essence
  • 50 grams of sugar
  • 325 grams of bread flour
  • 5 grams of salt
  • 100 grams of unsalted butter
  • Nutella and cinnamon at your preference
Preparation

Starter:

Bring milk to a boil and then let it cool until 40* C (104 *F), put more of it before boiling because it going to reduce after it. Put the yeast (5 grms) in the milk (125 ml), whisk and add the flour (65 grms), incorporate well and cover it, let it rise for about 30 to 45 minutes.

Final dough:

In a large bowl put the starter, eggs, vanilla essence, sugar. Whisk all until integrated, sift the flour and add it to the mix and add the salt, incorporate well and let it rest cover for 20 minutes. (In this moment there is no need to knead the dough, we just incorporate it well into a ball)

After it rest for 20 minutes we start to knead it, 5 to 10 minutes until it reaches a uniform color and texture, then we add half of the butter and we knead it until it is fully incorporated, we add the second part of the butter and we knead until the dough reaches a smooth texture, it should be flexible and with bubbles on its surface, it could take 20 to 35 minutes.

We let it rise covered in a slightly greased bowl at least until it doubles in size, depending on the ambient temperature it could take some 3 hours or more, I like to leave mine in the fridge all night until next day.

After it rise use a rolling pin to give it a uniform rectangular shape, it should be some 2 to 3 mm thick, we spread the nutella and cinnamon all over the rectangle from the middle but we leave an empty space of about an inch in all four edges, here you can also add almonds, nuts, raisins or anything else you want, brown butter is always good.

We start to roll the rectangle, large side to large side, when it’s done we divide it into 3 equal parts, and then each of those part into 3 more, getting at the end 9 equal parts ( roughly equal, no need to be perfect)

Put a piece of parchment paper in the bottom of a cast iron pan, I use one of 10 inches, put the rolls in the pan and let it rise again, covered, until they double in size.

I put mine in the kettle, indirect side using the slow n sear. 25 to 30 briquettes, fully lit. Use the thermometer to check the internal temp. At 88 *C ( 190 *F) they are done, but you can leave it until they get the surface color you like. Keep rotating the pan for an even color.

Enjoy.

índice.jpg

Back