The bottom Rack of ribs...

Hi,
I'm just beginning a major smoke for a dinner party, and some of the guests are Southerners, so Canada Mike is, shall we say, hoping it turns out well.
But, here's my question. Whenever i buy ribs that ae packaged, say from Costco, the bottom slab is always half ribs, and half pork full of little bones, and flat. Clearly, it's what keeps the price down, but what gives, and shold they be treated differently. Oh, and I'm talking spares here.

Cheers, and Merry Christmas,
Michael

C-Mike:

Hmmm, that would certainly tick me off. I would expect that whatever was packaged underneath what I could see was the same as what was on top. I have never had this experience at my Costco, but would be very disappointed if I did.

You might try seeing if you can purchase your ribs from Costco still in the cryovac. They come two in a cryovac pack, and you can see through both sides to get an idea what the ribs look like (this is assuming the Canadian meat distribution works the same as down here.) The guys at my Costco meat section are always willing to go grab me what I need from the back that hasn't been "re-packaged" yet.

Hope that helps.

Rich

Was the rack of ribs trimmed into a rectangle? If so, its probably the rib tips and other trimmings.

I believe its called a Kansas City cut of ribs. Its done to resemble loin back ribs.

Back