The best sandwiches in every state

There is a special brand of bun that must be used. Made by S. Rosens

Yep, that and a Vienna dog.( But do you remember Sinai kosher?) That was a good frank also.

Hard to find an original in other places.I worked across the US (back in the day) and visited ( so called) Chicago style Pizza , beef , hot dog joints.
They all sucked, but they had plenty of pics of our sports teams on the walls to try to sell it.

Tim

Yeah true Chicago style beef, dogs, polish, corned beef and pastrami, are hard if not impossible to come by outside the city limits

If memory serves, Vienna Beef are sold kosher ( “We answer to a higher Authority”) and S. Rosen’s poppy seed buns are critical, there’s a joint right in front of Wrigley Field that is great! And a “wiener wagon outside of the art museum that is a close second.
I love the Windy City!!
Larry, you are right, precious few places on the planet with a taste for food with the style that Chicago has!
Memory is playing tricks the “We Answer” byline is from Hebrew National, my mistake.
The places I mentioned use Vienna Beef, proudly!
Doggone it! Now I want. Chicago Dog! One guy here in town makes a pretty good one but, it’s hard to find one that beats one in “Town”!

Last edited:
Yep the true Chicago dog is a Vienna beef dog with natural casing. Impossible to find (at least around here). Though I have found a very good stand it from Boar's Head and when gently steamed give just the right snap. I have even found vienna brand bright green pickle relish, vienna sport peppers and the proper mustard is only French's Yellow

I grew up in the "Back of the yards" where the Italian beef sandwich was invented. Beef stands on the south side take it seriously ( Beef, Combos or Italian Sausage) and eventually it took off on the north-side.
Maxwell Street was the place on the weekend to get a true polish.
Ricobene's on 26th was the place for breaded steak when Mamma made it.
And the guy that had a hot dog cart on 36th and Lowe ( across from the Honorable Richard Daley's house) made a killing on the weekend after a Sox game.
He always bragged that he put his Daughters thru college with his profits.
Check out a "Mother in law Sandwich" I don't think you will find that outside of Chicago.:)

Tim

Sorry Bob, nothin like a grilled Pork Steak between 2 slices of Wonder Bread. Vintage 1950s. :D However, I absolutely devour a New Mexico Green Chili Cheeseburger. Lots of good choices on that list including Florida's Cubano.

Bump on the green chili cheeseburger!

I remember the old Maxwell St. Went down there all the time with my dad and my uncles. The sounds and smells were legendary. I grew up on the NW side though near Cicero and Diversey in the old St. Gens neighborhood

Mother-in-law sandwich??

Sounds like a bad tasting sandwich. :p

Yea, LOL .
Here's a link,https://chicago.seriouseats.com/201...-red-hots-deserves-a-visit.html#comments-6232 but the video from AB is broken. Fat Johnnies was prolly the first to make it. ( first place I tried it in the 70's)
Tom tom tamales are no way similar to a true corn husk tamale, but they are very addicting, and another product from the south-side.
One of those ( Tamale on a bun) with mustard ,relish, onions is one of those guilty pleasures I remember from my HS days, well that and gravy bread.( any beef joint would sell you a Gonnella bun dipped in gravy , jus for a quarter.):)

Tim

I remember the old Maxwell St. Went down there all the time with my dad and my uncles. The sounds and smells were legendary. I grew up on the NW side though near Cicero and Diversey in the old St. Gens neighborhood

Some good deals and eats.
If something got stolen during the week there was a good chance you could find it on the weekend and pay pennies on the dollar to buy it back.
It was rough area, but it started the flea market craze.

Tim

Saw the subject and came here to post that New York's entry should be a pastrami sandwich from Katz's Deli, and that is what the article said.

I recently visited for the first time, and that sandwich was divine. Any brisket lover would appreciate it. A bowl of matzo ball soup was a nice accompaniment. The soup tastes way better than it looks.

The article picks muffaletta for my state of Louisiana. Its a decent sandwich, but I think most here would go with a shrimp po-boy for our iconic sandwich. They gave the shrimp po-boy to Mississippi, which is suspect.

I took a bite before remembering to take a pic of the pastrami. The brisket sandwich in the background was okay, but the pastrami was something special.
i-BkLGxDb-X2.jpg

Matzo ball soup and a knish

i-RXPzJ4f-X2.jpg

Back