Thawing pulled pork

Jeffery

TVWBB Member
I'm cooking a 9lb butt now my plan is to pull it when ready, eat my fill then fridge it for awhile then freeze in a foiled pan. Thursday I'm heading out of town 8hrs or so to my destination and will take the leftover pork for dinner that nite, would thawing the pork in the fridge on wednesday be to early or just wait till thursday morning? would freezer bags be a better option then the foiled pan? thanks for any input.

I would use the freezer bags, or a vacuum sealer if you have one. They could be thawed out that day, or just placed in a boiling pot of water.

Personally, I would put what you are going to freeze in a freezer bag (a 1 lb sized bag should work for a 9lb butt), squeeze out as much air a possible. I'd flatten it too, so its not a round ball of pork, so it'll defrost evenly. Would fit easily in a small cooler for an 8 hr road trip - you'll have no worries traveling with food stored in a bag in a small cooler.

I'd think you wouldn't very much ice, but I would probably take some just in case travel is delayed.

Ziplock bags in this household. Since there isn't a lot of moisture, pulling from the freezer that morning is fine.

Thanks for the replies i've used the bags before when freezing, I think I'll take a aluminum pan to reheat in oven when taking out of freezer bags. the butt is still cooking at 192it thanks for info

Back