Thaw a few Costco chicken wings for my first Vortex cook?

Bob Marlatt

TVWBB Member
Dumb question, as I have learned that grilling and barbecuing are NOT rocket science. I have some frozen wings and I'm too lazy to go to the store and buy a package of fresh. (I have only used these wings in the deep fryer before... partially thawed) Sooo: I'll be okay fully thawing out a dozen wings for my maiden Vortex voyage? Tonight or tomorrow night I'm cooking for one on a 22" Masterchef. The plan is to load a lit chimney of Kingsford into the vortex with the wings assembled over indirect heat. I haven't decided yet how I want to flavor... buffalo, bbq sauce, whatever... suggestions welcomed.

All advice taken well!

Yes.

People have had lots of success with the vortex indirect as you describe.

Last night I did some wings. Tried something different. First, they were wet, so I wrapped each wing part with a paper towel and squeezed in my fist real quick. This dried the surface of them for the most part. Then I laid them out with the thicker skin facing up, then I salted that top side. Then I turned them over and laid them thick skin down onto a board with paper towels. Then salt the back side. Put in 'fridge for several hours. The idea is, the salt will pull out the water from the skin and then the water will absorb into the paper towel rather than get reabsorbed back into the skin. Then sprinkled both sides with pepper and sprayed both sides with canola oil. Then cook in Weber with lots of lump. My Weber temp got up to 700 F. However, I cooked them direct over the coals in a rotisserie basket. They were on for 45 mins spinning and tumbling. I checked and IT was 200 F. Pulled them. The wings came out very crispy and crunchy - my best yet! Meat was tender and juicy. Sauced them lightly with Frank's RedHot sauce & butter 50/50. I left some plain but liked the ones with the sauce more.

Good luck

Masterchef... I meant to say Master-touch 22" Weber Kettle. I would call the maiden Vortex voyage a success. I did nothing other than fire up a full chimney. Somehow loaded up the Vortex without a mishap. Placed the dozen unprepared (not even close to thawed out) wings around the perimeter without burning my hand. And cooked them with one peek for 45 minutes. They were crispier than any previous indirect grilling in my storied career (/sarcasm) as a grill master. I would say I overcooked them by about ten minutes. The next step is to have fun with the alchemy of seasoning, saucing, rubbing, whatevering the poultry.

Attachments

• tempImagesT8fk6.png
    tempImagesT8fk6.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 3
  • tempImagel6PEtC.png
    tempImagel6PEtC.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
They look great, if they pulled clean off the bone with no effort and were a bit dry then yes a bit over done.
I made some Saturday night after a few too many maybe.....I was able to cook and do everything without harm so maybe not too many but apparently I wasn't doing a good job with the typing.
Refer to here if you want to see what I did......no vortex but I used my 24" instead of the performer with vortex....
I think it does a better job......it gets hot, you can watch the thermometer go up.......it goes fast, about 100 degrees every minute with everything wide open.
Also it's time to get the seasoning out......even just using killer hogs bbq will turn those babies into a dark mahogany colour.

Back