That big long flap at the end of spares

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
Hey everybody,

I'm wondering...what do you all do with that long chunk of meat at the end of a rack of spares? Cut it off, or cook it with the rack? I'm not talking about the tips (bones of the sternum)...it's about a 4 inch long piece of boneless meat at (I think) the tail end of the rack. It seems to dry out more quickly than the meat between the ribs. Do most of you keep it on prior to cooking, or remove it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin Sharp:
You have got to cut that piece off. It is that little something special for the cook </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always freeze the tips/skirt/flap. If I make a "snack for the chef", I too full to eat the ribs. The tips/skirt are always done before the ribs...and I don't have the willpower to resist them! Kind of like when you're pulling a pork butt and you're full before you finish.
icon_biggrin.gif

How long do you cook it. For the last 3-4 cooks I saved it and smoked it with the rest and pulled it off early (2 - 3 hrs) but it was always dry. How long until until you take it off?
Thanks!

Back