Thanksgiving "Roto" Bird

EricV.

TVWBB Wizard
This Thanksgiving I will be spinning a 12-14lb. bird via the Weber rotisserie. I have done this method several times in the past with a drip pan in the middle & the charcoal in the char-basket fuel holders on both sides of the pan. I have seen other recipes using the charcoal on only one side of the grill & I have seen other recipes pouring in the charcoal in a “U” shape pattern, similar to the Kettle Pizza configuration with the drumsticks pointing toward the charcoal.

What methods of charcoal placement have others done & why?

Welcome to TVWBB, Eric! There's not a lot of difference between one side and double side. Cooking temp would be higher with two lit baskets. Mike Lang uses the single side method in his rotisserie videos. Mike Vrobel use the U formation. He claims it promotes more even cooking. His method is to cool down the breast with bags of ice an hour before cooking, then place the bird on the spit such that the legs and thighs are near the bottom of the U and the breast is near the top of the U.

I'm spinning a 10-12lber this year. My plan (subject to change due to to me continuing to overthink things) is to ice down the breast and use two baskets.

What amount of time are we looking at for a 15 lb bird? I`ve spatchcocked a 15 lb bird in the kettle with sns. Took about 2 1-2 hrs. Turned out great. Injected breasts with butter and made meatheads dust.

Back