Thanks (this forum helps!)

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
A word of thanks to everyone who's hit reply to a question I've had or a pic of a frivolous bit of food I've posted.

I've been using my wsm for 2 years and just competed in my second contest. Last year we finished 37th out of 50, and afterward I knew I had a lot to learn. Little did I know how much I could learn, and in a mere 3 months, just by reading everyones posts here.

As a result, I tried some stuff this weekend that I never would have had the confidence to try. With a little luck, we had a flawless night, and the few mistakes we made worked out in our favor, and we finished 6th out of 47. The only category that wasn't in the top 10 was pork, which I figured I didn't need anybody's help on!

Thanks everyone.

Chicken: thanks to Kevin and his insight. I didn't work too much on our thighs, but my partners were sweating at 11:45 making sure every one of them had crispy skin. We were hoping they'd be at least bite through by the time the box was opened, and something must of went right. I also used phosphates in the brine that I purchase from Butcher-Packer (a source offered by Kevin). I can't say definitively whether it helped, but they sure didn't hurt our score.

Brisket: thanks to Kevin and Bryan, and everyone who does high heat brisket. This is the only way I've ever cooked a packer (both times!), so I had to cook this way in the comp. It was scary not starting it until 6:00 am (I did do one 12:00 am to 6:00 am and had it in a cooler as a backup) but the results speak for themselves: a moist, tender, flavorful piece of meat.

Ribs: thanks again to Kevin, I don't recall exactly when it was or what it was, but during my recent dismissal of spares as uncookable and my resulting attachment to back ribs, he said something that made me think I could apply my back cooking knowledge to spares. Not willing to give up on my precious backs, I tried both, and there was no comparison, the spares came out perfect. Ribs are easily my favorite bbq, and it makes me proud to know I can cook both spares and backs with the best of them.

That's incredible improvement! Congrats!!!

I have to agree with you on your opinion of the board. I know darn well I'd have screwed up most everything I've cooked so far if it wasn't for the info I've gotten here.

Congratulations JB!

It puts a smile on my face that a hometown boy and a regular poster/member of this forum did so well at our big local comp. I wish I could have been there.

Todd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">and a regular poster/member of this forum did so well </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its hard not too. between the wsm and the help you get around here, bad que isn't possible.

Cool Beans Man, congrats on the great results. Top 3 next year.
icon_biggrin.gif

third place ribs (by far our worst presentation, but best taste and texture)
OinktoberFest2008034.jpg

fifth place brisket(not sure why we shot this one upside down, guess we were a bit tired by this point)
OinktoberFest2008052.jpg

9th place chicken
OinktoberFest2008021.jpg

for some reason our pork bombed, and I used the same rub and sauce as the ribs. I'll admit the cook didn't go as planned, but I thought the product was decent and most that tried it said it was good. maybe it got sent to a grouchy table.
OinktoberFest2008043.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">good job---and no parsley either! Smiler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was old school (my second comp). I'm all parsley now.

Wow, awesome! We didn't do so well this past weekend at Peters Pond but it only made us more aware of our shortcomings.

...and for the record...I hate using parsley.

What a great post Jeff - Loved the results. Congratulations. We'll all be pulling for you and that "Top-Three" with the next comp. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

You guys know this contest went down almost two years ago? I recently referenced it in a comp thread as an example of how well you can do in a comp if you pay attention to posters here. I'm guessing that's where Buzz saw it and gave it a bump that dug it out of its dusty crypt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">...and for the record...I hate using parsley. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

its not bad if you got a decent crew, we put 3-4 people on it friday night and get the beds packed nice and tight. It makes for effortless boxing during turn-ins. The green leaf in the above photos was a real pain to work with and IMO never produced consistent results.

moral of the story:

parsley = easy but time consuming, consistent
lettuce = faster but more demanding and frustrating

I'm just hoping I show up in the top half in my upcoming comp, so good on you, J. And, I agree about this board, this is the only place on the web that I go to just about once every evening. I can't remember ever seeing a harsh word or flame here. Blessings on you all!

That comp may have been history, but the food still looks great. BTW, what do phosphates do for chicken?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That comp may have been history, but the food still looks great. BTW, what do phosphates do for chicken? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

good question.

here's what I know:

1) it is a common ingredient in enhanced meat and extensively used in processed chicken

2) it is also seems to be a key ingredient in FAB and Butcher's brand injection

3) it is used as a binder in sausage making (especially emulsified kinds)

4) its pH is alkaline so it is used as a buffer for acidic brines (brines are more effective when not acidic)

5) now for the basic bio lesson...muscle fibers are activated by the molecule ATP (Adenosine triPHOSPHATE) so out of necessity they are loaded with phosphate receptors. When the animal is slaughtered and goes through rigor mortis, the naturally occurring phosphates are used up. Injecting phosphates back into a hunk of muscle is supposed to restore the muscle fibers to a more relaxed, living state that allows them to hang onto more water and results in a moister finished product.

#5 was discussed by Jim Minion as he tried to explain how FAB worked, I added some of what I know to make sense out of his explanation. I suspect I'm way off, but for now it sounds plausible.

As for my own experiments with phosphates...I have not observed much difference between the effects of pumping with a salt brine and a brine with salt and phosphate.

That's correct.

It doesn't really act as a 'binder' per se, for sausage; it aids in water retention, which helps binders bind and/or it adds stability to emulsification by, again, allowing better water retention. Helping water retention is its major use. That's why it's prevalent in processed meats, especially those that are or will be thoroughly cooked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">That's correct.

It doesn't really act as a 'binder' per se, for sausage; it aids in water retention, which helps binders bind and/or it adds stability to emulsification by, again, allowing better water retention. Helping water retention is its major use. That's why it's prevalent in processed meats, especially those that are or will be thoroughly cooked.

Kevin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

woohoo! I'm such a skeptic I doubt myself. I cringe when I hit "post now" because I always think I'm posting a bunch of nonsense. Its nice to be right once in a while.

I read that a little bit of phosphate can replace a lot of dry milk in sausage recipes, so I was going on that.

I like the muscle fiber/ATP argument but its the hardest to verify.

Back