Texas natural meats guarantee; RO rib cook

R. Ryan

TVWBB Member
Began my first cook with RO lump charcoal (U.S. origin) this morning. I hope to use that long-term in the WSM, and it is available locally. Nice looking spares are cooking. Very impressed with the RO startup and performance so far. Holding nicely at 250. Using some apple chunks. Practice for a more important cook later in the week. I use a clay saucer as heat sink, with a stainless steel grease catcher sitting in it.

Buying the ribs and some brisket, I chatted with a seemingly well-informed meat department grocer and he told me his Texas chain, HEB, never has, does not and never will sell "enhanced" meats. I told him about the national problem, and he agreed how bad "enhanced" is. Also encouraging, this fellow says he barbecues a lot at home and has even done some competition cooking!

All in all, things are lookin' good around these parts. A spectacular autumn week here, perfect for some slow cookin' and smokin'.

stainlessgreasebowl.jpg

(Later) Had to bring the lid temp back down a couple of times when it rose to around 300, and going closed-closed-half did the trick, and it seems to be holding steady at 250 with only one bottom vent open, that one at half.

I am learning. (Just a novice.)

One addendum: I told the meat department gentleman that it appears they remove the membrane from all their ribs. He confirmed this. Another plus, far as I am concerned.

Another: Looks like Tuesday is a good day for meat shopping there. Wide selection of anything a barbecue person would want. Plus some. And all dated well ahead. Saw some nice looking pork briskets, need to try cooking a couple of those soon.

Another: What a pleasure, when I first opened the lid to put the ribs in place, and when I came back in two hours to baste them, that there was no sign whatever of flying ash. So I no longer do magician tricks opening the lid to avoid the ashes. Ashes, what ashes? Loving the RO lump!

R. Ryan, not surprised about H.E.B. My uncle is retiring after 48 years with them. To give you an idea what kind of company they are and how they value folks, he started after school in a corner grocery (long gone) on 3rd street in Waco, Tx working - learning to be a butcher. Went on to Baylor, then HEB. Ended up in charge of all of HEB meats! Cool story, great guy, great company! Their meat is awesome! Just wish they had stores here in Tennessee!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by G. A. Green:
R. Ryan, not surprised about H.E.B. My uncle is retiring after 48 years with them. To give you an idea what kind of company they are and how they value folks, he started after school in a corner grocery (long gone) on 3rd street in Waco, Tx working - learning to be a butcher. Went on to Baylor, then HEB. Ended up in charge of all of HEB meats! Cool story, great guy, great company! Their meat is awesome! Just wish they had stores here in Tennessee! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very interesting, thanks! Until recently, the two in this county were the northernmost of HEB stores, none as far north as Dallas and Fort Worth. Since then I am not sure what the overall situation is at higher latitudes, but I do know their yuppie/green stores are in those cities.

I have become a fancier of HEB meats since I began barbecuing a lot. We are fortunate to have that store here.

The spare ribs were great. Mostly falling off the bone. Ready in five hours, with a brush basting of pure concord grape juice after two hours, and two applications of a barbecue sauce in the final 30 minutes. (The sauce is a Texas, mustard based, store-bought, with a little rooster sauce and water added by me.)

The grease catcher worked fine. It would be easy to foil it or place a throw-away pie plate inside it, to further reduce clean-up.

Appears I have some useful RO chars left on the grate. Will fetch them tomorrow to top my next load. They also will help me calculate how much to reduce my coals the next rib cook time. I Minioned the RO lump this time.

Back