Texas > Lexington: Snow's BBQ

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
My wife and I got a chance to visit Snow's BBQ in Lexington, Tx which is about an hour east of Austin. Snow's was voted #1 in the Texas Monthly Top 50 BBQ joints in the state of Texas in 2008. Snow's is only open on Saturdays and it opens early. We got there around 9 on a very overcast morning. Lucky for us, there wasn't much of line yet.

This early in the morning my eyes were a bit bigger than my stomach as I ordered a pound of brisket, a pound of pork and a few links of sausage. I forgot to specify fatty brisket, but the lean was plenty tender with a gorgeous dark crust and a perfectly rendered ribbon of fat across the top. The pork was very good, and interesting sliced instead of pulled and absolutely delicious. All the meats were complimented by a simple rub dominated by salt and black pepper and the taste of post oak smoke.

After eating we decided to head out back and take a look at the smokers.

This is a picture of their newest pit. I'm an Aggie so I loved the A&M stuff painted on it. A similar older pit was directly behind it. It's the smoker you see on the Texas Monthly cover. I didn't get a picture unfortunately. We had seen several documentaries and read plenty of articles about the place and we were excited to meet the pitmaster, Tootsie Tomanetz. I hid shyly back away as my wife walked bravely up and said "He's shy but he'd like to take a look at the Pits!"

I was lucky enough to get a tour of the pits by none other than Tootsie, herself. She was kind enough to walk me through all the direct heat pits which they use for pretty much every meat but the briskets.
Over in the corner was an old rusted smoker that did double duty burning down the coals for the direct heat pits and at one time served to cook briskets.

I didn't get a lot of pictures here out of respect to Tootsie Tomanetz. She was kind enough to take the time to give me a tour and I was honestly a bit star struck meeting a true Texas BBQ legend.

Snow's BBQ is definitely worth the trip if you are in the Austin area!

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back