Texas > Denton: Buc-ee's Convenience Store

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Buc-ee's Convenience Store
2800 S Interstate 35 E
Denton, TX 76210

Buc-ee's is a mega gas station and convenience store chain. At the time of writing, they have 41 locations in Texas, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Florida and South Carolina, with more locations planned for other states.

Buc-ee's is perhaps best known for "the world's cleanest restrooms", with attendants constantly keeping the large collection of restrooms in tip-top shape. They've also got tons of snacks, cold beverages, supplies, clothing, gift items, tchotchkes, and of course various foods including barbecue sandwiches, kolaches, sandwiches, spicy nuts, fudge in many flavors, a wall of beef jerky, and their famous Beaver Nuggets sweet puffed corn snack. Why, they've even got some stickburners and pellet grills for sale along with some accessories and supplies!

When I visited Buc-ee's for the first time in January 2020, I noticed the barbecue sandwiches but didn't try them. During my second visit to Buc-ee's in May 2022, I decided to give it a whirl. My wife and I bought three chopped brisket sandwiches and a chopped pork sandwich, along with some "freshly made" Buc-ee's potato chips (nothing special). I ate half of a brisket sandwich and half of the pork sandwich, my wife ate one of the brisket sandwiches, and the rest was saved for later. The pork sandwich was OK. The brisket sandwich at $7.99 was not cheap, but it was surprisingly OK given that it was prepared at a convenience store. The brisket came out whole onto a cutting board where a guy chopped it up coarsely, mixed in some sauce, and then it was portioned onto buns, wrapped in foil paper, and placed under a heat lamp. No signs of a smoker anywhere nearby, but I figure it's made offsite.

If you stop by Buc-ee's for gas, clean restrooms, a Mountain Dew and a Slim Jim, you might just give a chopped brisket sandwich a try!

IMG_4860.JPG

IMG_4864.JPG

IMG_4865.JPG

IMG_4877.JPG

IMG_4876.JPG

IMG_4866.JPG

IMG_4867.JPG

IMG_4868.JPG

IMG_4869.JPG

IMG_4874.JPG

My visit to Buc-ee's for barbecue is featured in this video:

Buc-ee's is an adventure unto itself. Living in OKC and traveling to the metroplex frequently I'm a big fan of Buc-ee's. You have to experience it to truly understand how amazing that place is.

But, I agree with your assessment that the BBQ is decent for a travel stop but not the reason to go there. But, there are so many reasons to go there either way.

In fact, we stopped at the Terrell location just 2 days ago on our way back from the NOLA/Mississippi gulf coast area.

Of course I had to take an ornery pic with Buccee.

IMG_20220530_171708.jpg

When I visited Buc-ee's for the first time in January 2020, I noticed the barbecue sandwiches but didn't try them. During my second visit to Buc-ee's in May 2022, I decided to give it a whirl. My wife and I bought three chopped brisket sandwiches and a chopped pork sandwich, along with some "freshly made" Buc-ee's potato chips (nothing special). I ate half of a brisket sandwich and half of the pork sandwich, my wife ate one of the brisket sandwiches, and the rest was saved for later. The pork sandwich was OK. The brisket sandwich at $7.99 was not cheap, but it was surprisingly OK given that it was prepared at a convenience store.
On my one and only trip to Texas, I also tried their brisket sandwich — in two different Buc-ee's — and agree completely. It's nothing special, until you consider the context — definitely a step (or two) above typical gas station or fast food.

Last edited:
Buc-ee's is an adventure unto itself. Living in OKC and traveling to the metroplex frequently I'm a big fan of Buc-ee's. You have to experience it to truly understand how amazing that place is.
That's an understatement! First gas station I've ever seen with 100 pumps. And their restrooms really are spectacularly large and clean.

Worth noting: their selection of Buc-ee's branded merchandise rivals that of some major-league sports teams.

It's a freaking zoo. If you want to make a 45 minute gas stop while traveling, knock yourself out. Way too many people. Extremely loud and noisy. Just getting in and out the parking lot of a busy one is aggravating. Reminiscent of Gatlinburg. 1/3 of the stores are merchandise, 1/3 is the food area, 1/3 is convenience store groceries , etc. Personally if you've been to one..... I don't see a reason to ever go back. It's similar to super Walmarts ... Remember when they wow you? impressed people at first..... Then they discover it's too much trouble most of the time and go back to shopping mostly at their local grocery store because it's far quicker. saving $10 on groceries isn't worth it.

Last edited:

Back