Texas > Dallas: Lockhart Smokehouse

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I just got the opportunity to check out Lockhart Smokehouse in Dallas, TX. The place is owned by members of the Schmidt family who own Kreuz market in Lockhart, TX. TMBBQ gives it a 4.5 out of 5 which is VERY good. It is ranked number 2 in Dallas right behind Pecan Lodge. Of the places that I've tried this is in my top 5 easy. While the brisket isn't as legendary as Franklin it is very good.

I was first in line and they pulled a brisket right off the Bewley pit behind the cutting station. There was no foil in sight. I knew I was in for a treat. I didn't get a chance to specify if I wanted fatty or lean, he just cut right through the brisket at the magic point where the flat meats the point and juices were just pouring out of it. I order a half pound of brisket, a half pound of shoulder clod, a link of Kreuz sausage and the jalapeno sausage, and some sides.

The brisket was perfectly tender, the fat well rendered. The bark was meteor black full of rich flavor of a simple salt and pepper rub. The smoke was very stong post oak and very aggressive but not too much.

The shoulder clod as something I'd never tried before. From what I've read, Texas BBQ joints focusing on brisket is a relatively modern invention that goes back to the 60's. Before that they would cut up and BBQ a whole front quarter. Beef clod is something relatively forgotten about that you can only get in the central Texas joints in Lockhart Tx. All I can say is I'm a fan! This being such a huge chunk of meat and not as tough as brisket they aren't cooking it to that fall apart level that you would cook brisket. It has to be cooked to a lower internal temp, but its very tender and flavorful. The smoke on it is even more agressive than the brisket due to its size. A perfect bite is a chunk of the crust, a little of the surface fat and that tender succulent meat!

The sausage they serve is the exact recipe from Kreuz market. The jalapeno was a little spicier than what I was in the mood for. The regular recipe is outstanding. It's not overly seasoned, plenty of fat dripping from the natual casing. It was everything I've heard it was. I believe its an 85% beef to 15% pork ratio.

I got the blue cheese slaw which I highly recommend.

We went on a monday so there was no line. We showed up right 11am. If you wanna avoid the hassle of waiting in line at Pecan Lodge and get some very good barbecue I highly recommend this place.

Last edited:
I took a trip to Lockhart in Dallas for lunch today. I was a little surprised by how not packed it was. The joint opens up at 11 and when I arrived at 11:30 I did not have to wait at all. It is a lot smaller of a building compared to Pecan Lodge or the other big BBQ joints in town. I ordered fatty brisket and sausage. The sausage was awesome. The casing was a little tough but when I cut into the casing juices just poured out. That thing was super juicy! The brisket was really good as well. I have NEVER had brisket with a crust that crunchy. It was really good but it was almost the texture of a potato chip. The inside was super juicy but man that crust was like nothing I have ever had... Like Dustins original post they pulled out a new brisket when they were slicing for me and I got a few slices right from the middle between the flat and point. If in the area I would def recommend.

Dallas skyline from the south

Last edited:

Back