Texas BBQ rub.

GregS

For those who use the Texas BBQ rub, are you using it like the website says and putting the worcestershire sauce on it followed by the rub and straight into the smoker or is anyone using like in the BRITU or DR. Browns method. I just purchased 2 bags of the rub and it smells excellent and I just want to hear about the ways others are using it.

I've done it two ways. First, is the worchestshire then rub, right into the cooker. Second is make a paste, then apply the past to the meat. Didn't notice a difference either way. But every time, it's right into the cooker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GregS:
For those who use the Texas BBQ rub, are you using it like the website says and putting the worcestershire sauce on it followed by the rub and straight into the smoker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, that's how I do it. So simple and easy.

I tried the worsty sauce the 1st couple time out and then started rubbing and just letting butts sit while I get the WSM going. They start to sweat a bit and when I'm ready, I add a bit more and roll them around in the rub that fell off to pick it all up on onto the WSM. I've noticed no difference.

Brisket Blend on butts and Original on ribs for me.
icon_smile.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jefferey:
Bryan,
Are you using the standard rub or the Brisket rub on your briskets? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Brisket blend on my briskets.
icon_biggrin.gif
I use the Original on Butts and ribs most of the time. Once in a while I'll use the brisket blend on a butt.
I have a friend at work that loves to use the Brisket blend on ribs and butts.

I tried it the first time on a butt (brisket blend) with the worcestershire sauce and did not find the sauce did anything for flavor. The rub sticks fine without it and as mentioned above hit it again before it goes on the smoker for a really good coating. I have since used both brisket blend and Texas Wild with competition injection and that is good stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What is the texas wild? They never really did explain it.

I've seen some people like to mix the brisket and the original together as well.

I use the whatsthishere sauce when I do brisket. For Ribs and Butts, I use plain yella mustard.

Texas BBQ Rub rocks and I'm still addicted to the original blend.

I have only ever used the original blend on butts, ribs and brisket. I used to use W sauce, and rub them the night before and wrapthem in plastic wrap, but my last cook I just sauced and rubbed them right before they went on. Not much difference. I will say that W sauce or mustard are used primarily to help the rub adhere better and make a paste, not for the flavor they impart, which is none really.

I will leave you with one of my wife's favorites:
Thick cut pork chops, W sauce and original rub and throw on the grill. Fantastic! Enjoy.

Pete

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jefferey:
Ok, I just spent $50 on 4 lbs. of each, Brisket rub and original. I hope it is as good as you all say. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
They are loving you in Texas. How long do you think 8 lbs will last you? Just curious because 8 lbs would last me a long time. It's good stuff and I hope you like it.

I never use the W-sauce. Like Bill, I just rub em down. They start to sweat, and rub them some more, never had any issues with the rub not sticking. I'll do it the night before a lot of times just so I have more beer drinking time on smoking day :-)
Todd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Dang:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
What is the texas wild? They never really did explain it.

I've seen some people like to mix the brisket and the original together as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Joe,

I don't know exactly what is different about the Texas Wild. I can tell you it has larger pieces of spice in the mix similar to brisket blend. I think it might best be described as brisket blend with more sugar similar in taste to the original. I have never taken all three and really tasted them next to each other, so I cannot say for sure. I can tell you it is really good on pork butts
icon_smile.gif

Use all three of their rubs. Wished their freight cost would be lower. But, wooster on brisket, mustard on butts and no glue on ribs. Good stuff. Hesitate to use in competitions though. Too many larger pieces that need to be cleaned off the meat for presentation purposes.

Jeff,

It's good! Butt, that's quite a leap of faith for a taste that you have no idea about.

Good call, I wonder that myself. However there seem to be a lot of people that like it. Also, college football season starts in a couple months and it will get used up pretty quick then.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Dang:
What is the texas wild? They never really did explain it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was designed for Wild game meat.
Another use for the Texas BBQ rubs.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back