Texas BBQ Rub on Spare Ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve G.

TVWBB Member
I bought some Tx BBQ rub from Bill Cannon a few weeks ago. His office is right down the road from me so I went in and purchased it directly from him. I had a nice conversation about Q, the WSM, and this forum.

Anyway, I smoked spare ribs yesterday using the rub and they were the best ribs I have ever eaten. I was very proud to have prepared them myself. No restaurant could come close to the flavor rendered. The best part is that I have some leftovers in the fridge for lunch today. I love the reactions that I get when people smell leftover BBQ being warmed in the lunch room at work.

I'm going to try the rub on baby backs this weekend. I'll be sure to post results.

Steve, used the rub on some hotel ribs this weekend myself. They were great also! Love to make BBQ that puts the restaurants to shame!

I did about 6lbs of B/B with the #1 and two beer can chickens with the #2 this past weekend. Both were great. Does anyone pull whole chickens the way you do pork? I think it makes a nice sandwhich.

I used #1. Interesting story if I can remember right: I was talking to Bill Cannon about the rubs and he said that they are not called #1 and #2...that this has just sort of come about. He said that (what everyone refers to as) #1 is the original. It never had a number assigned to it. #2 (as people refer to it) was one of three recipes he came up with for his brisket rubs. Of the three this one was the second or #2 recipe, so when he had testers evaluate them, they said they liked "#2" the best vs. #1 and #3. SO, this was called the #2 rub and subsequently the original rub took on the name of #1.....just a little BBQ rub history lesson of the day.

Steve,
Did you use any finishing sauce with the rub, or were the ribs the best you have eaten w/ just the rub. If yes, what did you use?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike M.:
Does anyone pull whole chickens the way you do pork? I think it makes a nice sandwhich. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I do. I make corn tortillas and make enchiladas with it.

I rubbed worchester sauce on the ribs first, then a thin layer of the rub and smoked them. My wife used some sauce, but I thought they were great without the sauce. I like BBQ sauce, but these really did not need it and I think it would have taken away from the rub seasoned flavor. Plenty of flavor!

Those rubs are excellent (#1 and #2).

Have you tried the gloves he has for sale? I would have been lost cutting up the chuck roll and pork butts I did this past weekend without them. Highly recommended for $10.

That meat is hot! (even after resting...)

Scott

After trying the "#1" rub did you all found that you still needed to mop the spares or did you just rub and cook? Also, did you have to flip the meat at all?

I only used the rub....no mopping, no sparying, no BBQ sauce after the cook....and I thought they were great. Plenty of flavor and juicy.

I may try to do a glaze on my BBs this weekend though....that one is still out for debate.

I cooked the entire session with the meat-side up...no flipping.

Granted, this was my first attempt at spares, I think they turned out awesome and would not change much if anything the next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back