Texas BBQ Rub on a Butt ????

Tom Stratton

TVWBB Member
I'm going to do a couple butts this weekend and have a question. My first butt cook was the mustard slathered one that came out great. Since then I have purchased both "brisket blend" and original Texas BBQ rubs. Has anyone tried these on butts?

Brisket Blend is all I use on butts anymore. Both are excellent IMO. Try Worcestershire sauce instead of mustard ~ I don't think you'll be disappointed. Check this out from their site:

The Secret Three Minute Formula Is.....

1: Pick your favorite meat
2: Rub Worcestershire sauce on the meat
3:Rub meat with Texas BBQ Rub

Site

I've used the Texas BBQ Rub on butts a number of times and generally slather them with mustard first to make the rub adhere. I think its a great rub and it was introduced to this board, I believe, by Tom Fergerson.

Paul

Best rub I have ever used. Still trying to make my own rub that I like as much, but to no avail lol.
I put a little mustard on, spread it with a pastry brush, apply rub.

I like the Texas bbq brisket blend..which I have found tastes and smells pretty dang close to Tex Joy steak seasoning without the big chunks of black pepper..check it out sometime.

That's all I use (the original) now on butts. I also sprinkle a little on after it's pulled with a little apple juice.

MikeZ

Thanks to all for the input. Since I have both original, and brisket blend....I just need to decide which one (my lean is towards the brisket blend)

Back