Texas BBQ Rub for pork?

Lee Morris

TVWBB Fan
Ordered a bag of the original Texas BBQ Rub and their #2 Brisket Rub a while back because I plan on making a real effort to smoke some beef this year...brisket, beef ribs, and a chuck roll by the end of the summer are in my plans.

Until now, I have been mainly a pork man with a little detour to a nice tenderloin and a turkey for Thanksgiving.

Well, I am smoking spare ribs and 2 butts tomorrow (can't get away from the piggies just yet). Is the Texas BBQ rub good on pork?

Any info is appreciated.

Texas BBQ Rub is very good on pork butts and ribs. Slather your butt with worsty sauce (not a lot, then apply a generous portion of rub until it almost makes a paste. If you have the time wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge overnight. If not, you can also apply it just prior to your cook. Either way, I think you'll enjoy it.

By the way, if you should order from them again, try the "Wild" rub they sell, I actually like that better than the original.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bruce Bissonnette:
Texas BBQ Rub is very good on pork butts and ribs. Slather your butt with worsty sauce (not a lot, then apply a generous portion of rub until it almost makes a paste. If you have the time wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit in the fridge overnight. If not, you can also apply it just prior to your cook. Either way, I think you'll enjoy it.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yep to what Bruce said. I only have 3 rubs on hand. Texas #1 (original) and the #2 (brisket blend) and Head Country. I use the #1 on pork often. I just do the woosty then rub it down and right onto the WSM it goes.

Bruce - You mentioned the "Wild" rub. I don't see a description on their website. Your thoughts?
I just received some of the Original and #2 Brisket and did a butt with each. They were both good and I can see the #2 working well with the beef, but a little more kick (for my taste) would be nice.

Here is Bill's description from a thread on their forum...

"The taste is somewhere between the original rub and the brisket blend. It is not as spicy as the original rub but it is sweeter than the brisket rub. It contains some large pieces of spices as does the brisket blend but again it is sweeter than the brisket blend to the taste."

I just got mine in a couple days ago and haven't used it yet, so can offer no personal experience, but if it is as good as the other two...

I like like it. I have used it on buts and ribs both with and with out the worsty sauce. They both turrned out good.

Great rub. I usually do the mustard slather and then put the rub on but we all get the same results... good tasting food. I agree the wild is my favorite also.

I'm on my 3rd order of their rub. We bought 1 of each and use it on both beef and pork and also on chicken wings. Normally use Allegro or mustard on the meat first.

I use Texas BBQ rubs all the time on beef and pork both and love it. The "Sprinkle" is good too on steaks if you don't over sprinkle.

The "Wild" does not mean hot or anything like that. It was originally made up for a wild game seasoning rub but through time it and comments from buyers it got changed to just "Wild". Try it...you'll like it. So think Wild as wild game.

HTH

It is hard to beat Texas BBQ Rub. I have used all 3 rubs, but for some reason still prefer the original. Until recently, these were the ony rubs I used. I came across Dizzy Pig not long ago and have to say the Dizzy Dust ranks right up there. With these 2 on hand, I need not look anywhere else.

Well, the spares were really good with the Texas Rub. I have used Byron's Butt Rub for many of my previous cooks. It's a lot spicier than the Texas rub. While my friends and family love the Butt Rub, everyone agreed that the milder flavor of the Texas Rub was really a nice change.

14+ pounds of butt just hit the smoker to cook overnight. Did one with my standard yellow mustard and Butt Rub and the other with worchestershire and Texas BBQ Rub.

I'll let you know how they turn out.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc:
I just received some of the Original and #2 Brisket and did a butt with each. They were both good and I can see the #2 working well with the beef, but a little more kick (for my taste) would be nice. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Just add some heat to it if you find it lacking in that department.
icon_wink.gif

Back