Texas > Arlington: Hurtado Barbecue

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I got the chance to try out Hurtado Barbecue in Arlington Texas a few weeks ago. It's almost in the shadow of Globe Life field where the Texas Rangers play and not to far from AT&T stadium where the Cowboys call home.

HfkWPAWl.jpg

Hurtado was in the Texas Monthly Top 50 which these days is no small feat. The list gets harder and harder to make as top notch barbecue joints spring up across Texas. The menu features a Tex-Mex twist.

Side dishes.

YKXVHbil.jpg

More sides.

FeVUtnAl.jpg

A giant M&M Barbecue company rotisserie smoker

I was really excite to see this pit that's been all over instagram. It's also made by M&M smokers and features a very unique firebox design and a stunning paint scheme.

A picture of my tray.

The food was outstanding. I order the brisket, the poblano oaxaca sausage, and bacon burnt ends. For sides I got a Texas Twinkie, mac and cheese, potato salad and a hunk of cornbread. The brisket was perfectly tender, the fat was rendered. It could have used a touch more seasoning but that's fairly common with a slice of fatty brisket. The sausage was well executed, with a snappy bite and a nice spicy kick. The bacon burnt ends were tremendous. They just gushed with juice when biting into them. As I suspected, they were very rich so I could only eat 2 or 3. The potato salad was pretty standard but the mac and cheese was addicting, I kept eating long after my stomach said I was done. All in all this a cool joint an worth a visit. This is a place that's in a nice middle ground where they are open every day, there's not a huge line, but they serve great barbecue. If you find yourself in DFW on a monday, the pickings can be slim when it comes to finding an open high quality joint, and this place did not disappoint.

Dustin, are you sure this is in Texas? I see more cars than trucks in the parking lot, and nobody inside is wearing a Big Hat. ;)

But that tray of barbecue looks like it'd be great anywhere!

Back