Testing a smoker tube

Jay D in Jersey

Closed Account
I've been curious about smoker tubes...the kind you fill with pellets. So I bought one to try out...not as much for the Oakford pellet grill, but more for my Genesis II 325. Yes, I do have a smoker box for wood chips but for $8, worth a try. Everything I see on YouTube shows folks lighting it with a blowtorch...the last thing needed for outdoor grilling as I see it, is a blowtorch. So tonight I'll try it loaded with pellets and I'll try a stick lighter. Curious to see if it's better than the old smoker box with chips.

I have one for starting the fireplace and the WSM, it is an extremely hand6 piece of home equipment! I got one of those crazy ones that someone here shared on sale from Amazon that’s pretty good too!
Why don’t you want a torch Jay?
I’ve used a stick lighter but, the torch really works faster and you get a more even lighting of the tube.
You know, I haven’t used that thing in a long time, I should get it out and fire it up!

I have one for starting the fireplace and the WSM, it is an extremely hand6 piece of home equipment! I got one of those crazy ones that someone here shared on sale from Amazon that’s pretty good too!
Why don’t you want a torch Jay?
I’ve used a stick lighter but, the torch really works faster and you get a more even lighting of the tube.
You know, I haven’t used that thing in a long time, I should get it out and fire it up!
I have one in it's original Burnzomatic metal box in the garage. I've not used it since Sharkbite fittings were invented. Fireplaces have all been gas and no more charcoal grills.

A stick lighter is slow and inefficient, it works, after a fashion, but you'll most likely have to apply it several times...the blow torch is fast even if the pellets are older and not bone dry. I've found that the tubes need a higher airflow especially in a WSM, the smoke is strong and can be acrid I keep the ventilation holes wide open and the lid slightly open.

Jay, on the Genesis, a foil packet is great. Place on flavo bar and it works great. And it's free. No torch needed
So I tried the tube on the flavorizers with boneless chicken breasts last night. Fail. Zero smoke flavor and the pellets definitely completely burned up. My SS smoker box with wood chips works far better. I'll experiment a bit more with it though. I think it's too much heat on the flavorizers for the tube. So I'll try it on the grates and the warming rack too. The foil pack and the boxes definitely work.

I've been curious about smoker tubes...the kind you fill with pellets. So I bought one to try out...not as much for the Oakford pellet grill, but more for my Genesis II 325. Yes, I do have a smoker box for wood chips but for $8, worth a try. Everything I see on YouTube shows folks lighting it with a blowtorch...the last thing needed for outdoor grilling as I see it, is a blowtorch. So tonight I'll try it loaded with pellets and I'll try a stick lighter. Curious to see if it's better than the old smoker box with chips.
I am curious about your results. I used a cast iron smokebox for years in my spirit. It was not bad, but that was it.

Welcome to the smoker tube club! I picked one up for my kettle grill a while back for similar reasons - wanted to add some smoke flavor without a whole new setup. Good call on trying it with a stick lighter first, blowtorches can be a bit much for casual grilling.

I once went camping with a group of people and had my push button map gas blow torch with me.
One guy was shocked and asked me what I needed one of those for.
I ended up loaning it to him and after a couple days I ended up gifting it to him.
You should have seen the look on his face, he was happy as all get out.
He had it with him the next time we went camping too.
As Chuck said “never underestimate the usefulness of a blow torch”.

Back