Terrible recipe from Smoke and Spice for ribs...a warning!

Yes, I've known Alan for years. His place is right down the street from me. I forgot about his products, as they are available there.

Although I have never bought a rub, I am not opposed to trying one out. I know Alan's Weber Kettle has been stolen off his back patio at the restaurant more than once. I run into him at chef events in town, and when I eat there.

Joe, yeah the rub for that recipe was pretty poor too. Onion powder, cinnamon and sugar...it was just a bizarre recipe..

I got an email back from texasbbqrubs.com and they said they can't send samples because of shipping costs. They also don't recommend their rub #2 for ribs, but for butts instead. I might just order some.

jason

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But at the end of the day, I'd rather make my own rubs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep, me, too. And sauces. It's way more than half the enjoyment I get from Q'ing.

I am finding that I do the same thing over and over again, like the apple brined turkey. It's hard for me to try new things because I love something so much. I've always had my spice rub that's posted here on hand for the past five years, and that's what I started with, which is probably why I've never bought one.

Because I've wanted to do new things, I've come here and asked for suggestions and recipes so I can diversify my repetoire. Very hard for me to get away from something that has always been tried and true, but I've been without my old standby rub now for months, and have replaced it with other stuff I've made. It's been a big step, so now I guess the next one is to try someone's rub that I buy. YIKES!

Jane,

Sonoran Seasoning is what I was referring to. I first came across it by a total fluke, the husband of a colleague of my wife was chums w/ Alan back in his Chicago days and he sent a little of this seasoning to me one time. Tried it on chicken and loved it. Great on turkey as well. I haven't ventured away from poultry with it though. I may try it on some dry ribs after the competition BBQ season. The other rub he sells, a hotter more traditional BBQ rub didn't strike my fancy. I was also given a little of the Prickly Pear Glaze, but that was a little too much off center for my BBQ I guess. Taste was fine, but again, didn't quite strike a cord w/ me.

If you happen to pick up some of the Sonoran Seasoning, I would be very interested in your opinion of how to complement that profile w/ a BBQ sauce or glaze.

Joe:

That must have been a long time ago. I've been here for 21 years, and he was at the Tucson Country Club, then possibly Jerome's, and then he went to the now closed White Dove at the Sheraton El Conquistador Resort, then opened Fuego. He lives very close to me, so I always run into him at Costco, his restaurant is right out of his subdivision.

I will have time to stop in there maybe over the weekend. I've been pretty booked with clients right now, and have another new one to interview tomorrow night.

Usually Tucson closes down this time of year, and as a matter of fact, I get the Fuego monthly newsletter, so if you shoot me an e-mail, I can forward it to you. It's in my profile.

Well, i just ordered a 2lb pack of the texas rub...it better be some goooood stuff
icon_smile.gif

What is odd, is that the recipes on the page say to cook spares only 4-5 hours at 225...seems rather short to me! Either way looking forward to trying the rub.
jason

4-5 hours is fine ifin you like to pull them off the bone. Mine have never been ready that quick at that temp.

I got my rub from texasbbqrub.com and i have to admit, it is AWESOME. I tasted a pinch of it, and it was so good, i was basically eating pinch after pinch of plain rub!
I'm going to make some ribs this weekend..probably do them for 5 hours, foil for 1 hour, and then 1 more hour out of foil and glaze the with a light bbq sauce.. Doin' spares.

Can't wait!

jason

I have noticed with some of the rubs you buy that they are just way too salty. Salt is a cheap spice. And some are just way too hot. And, I can take some heat too. But, you have to remember other folks may want it a bit tamer.

I end up using every bit of what I have bought. I doctor it up, or mix it with something else. But so far, I haven't bought a rub that really knocks my socks off. I can usually mix up something with what I have in the kitchen already.

Plus, I like a change now and then, sometimes I want it saltier, sometimes sweeter, I'm a woman, I'm allowed to change my mind, Ha Ha...just ask my husband.

Just tried that rub on grilled chicken the other day. Really excellent. This rub is not very salty...is it quite sweet and quite hot. Ribs tomorrow!

jason

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jason molinari:
Just tried that rub on grilled chicken the other day. Really excellent. This rub is not very salty...is it quite sweet and quite hot. Ribs tomorrow!

jason </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ah yes, another satisfied Texas BBQ Rub user.
icon_biggrin.gif
Did you just get the Original #1 or did you get both the #1 and #2?
icon_smile.gif

Back