Terrible recipe from Smoke and Spice for ribs...a warning!

Greetings all..just cooked my first Q of the summer season last weekend, made 2 butts (excellent as always) and 2 racks of spares. Well a warning to all, i thought i'd try something different, and use a new recipe for the ribs. I used the Apple city BBQ ribs from Smoke and Spice....
When i made the marinade i thought it was odd that there was vinegar in it..and it was to be used overnight....i figured it would denature the meat, but i thought it must be good, it says the team won the Royal BBQ with this recipe! Well it was terrible. In my mind, i ruined 2 racks of ribs. They were vinegary, and had a mushy layer where the vinegar had penetrated the meat and denatured it...

Just a warning to all, not to waste your ribs on this recipe...

jason

ya know i was always messing with rubs also.. until i came upon the #1 and #2 rub...#2 is our favorite.......

i havent expereimented since......AS THE LINE GOES...IF IT AINT BROKE...DONT FIX IT.....

HE'LL EVEN SEND YOU A SAMPLE IF YOU LIKE......

im not puttin in the web adress now...cuz i cant think of it.....eeeeerrrr...tip of the tounge thing going on here now...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mordechai Striks:
ya know i was always messing with rubs also.. until i came upon the #1 and #2 rub...#2 is our favorite.......

i havent expereimented since......AS THE LINE GOES...IF IT AINT BROKE...DONT FIX IT.....

HE'LL EVEN SEND YOU A SAMPLE IF YOU LIKE......

im not puttin in the web adress now...cuz i cant think of it.....eeeeerrrr...tip of the tounge thing going on here now... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Silly boy.
icon_razz.gif
Clicky

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jason molinari:
what the heck is this? Why would i want to buy a rub? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Because it's DA BOMB. And if you put it on your ribs you can eat them.
icon_razz.gif
Don't taste like vinegar.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jason molinari:

I think I have to agree!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jane Cherry:

I think I have to agree! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But have you ever had it? Yeah i used to make my own rubs blah! blah! blah. They were good but not Da Bomb like the Texas BBQ Rubs. JMO of course.
icon_biggrin.gif

Can you please tell me what makes this DA BOMB, and something that you couldn't make yourself? Honestly, are rubs really rocket science?

To me it's the perfect rub you might think it's terrible i don't know. Both of Bill's rubs are awsome in my book. I use the #1 on Pork Butt and Ribs and the #2 which is nice and spicey on Brisket. It's just easier for me to buy it rather than trying to make something like it. I just Love the stuff.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jane Cherry:
Can you please tell me what makes this DA BOMB, and something that you couldn't make yourself? Honestly, are rubs really rocket science? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, rubs aren't rocket science. But if you look at it like that, then why would you ever try any type of recipe? It's good to try new things that you haven't had before to get ideas for your own rubs/recipes or you may just come across a rub or a recipe you can't duplicate or improve. So unless ya'll try new things or the TXBBQ Rub, you'll never know what makes it, as Bryan say's "Da Bomb". We can all improve, by learning, taking advice and trying new things from others, is the way I look at it.

And I do, constantly. This last weekend, everything was new that I made. Maybe the same meat, but new rubs and sauces. I have never bought a BBQ rub, always made them myself. The ingredients that go into them are things that I always have on hand, and the same ones that Texas BBQ rub lists in their ingredients list. Amounts of these are what makes them unique.

Reason being that I like to do the handy work at making them, is I can control salt and sugar specifically. I can control the heat level. I am sure it's good, I'm not insinuating that it isn't. I just always make them myself, that's all. I know I am not alone here.

And I do, constantly. This last weekend, everything was new that I made. Maybe the same meat, but new rubs and sauces. I have never bought a BBQ rub, always made them myself. The ingredients that go into them are things that I always have on hand, and the same ones that Texas BBQ rub lists in their ingredients list. Amounts of these are what makes them unique.

Reason being that I like to do the handy work at making them, is I can control salt and sugar specifically. I can control the heat level. I am sure it's good, I'm not insinuating that it isn't. I just always make them myself, that's all. I know I am not alone here. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jane,
I agree with you. I make my own rub as well. However, I'll buy new rubs in order to see if I'm missing something, either not enough or too much (spice, salt, sugar, etc.). Or find something new to add. We can always get ideas for improvement from others. The premade rubs are especially good for the novice BBQ'er who is not too familiar with the seasonings that go into a traditional bbq rub for pork, beef, poultry etc. The bottomline is we all want something that suits our taste, whether we make it or someone else makes it. I'll always try something new and adjust it if need be.

thanks for the clicky bryan!!!!

jason go on the site and write in the comments you want a sample of #2 youll get alil for free in the mail in a few days........try and see if you like it......enjoy

If you can find a rub that you love, I see no problem buying it instead of making your own. It doesn't make you lessor of a cook in my opinion, and saves some time. I have used both the rubs and love them, but they have a little to much bite for my wife/daughter, but my son likes it also. I have tried making rubs that are more to the Wifes taste, and they come out fine, but I like the extra pepper in the Texas rub.

I'm with Jane on this. I just love making my own rubs. They take very little time to prepare and I can control the ingredients. Does that mean I will never try a commercial rub? No, as a matter of fact, I think I'll request a FREE sample.

I try rubs to see if im missing out, but prefer my own because it is my own concoction that seperates me from everybody else. Plus I like to experiment with it, sort of like a mad scientist.

I can't seem to find the comments field on texasbbqrub.com to request a sample. Do you mean the forum? Or should ijust email the guy?

jason

I also tried just the rub mentioned in the Smoke and Spice book and was not impressed.

I like making my own rubs too. My wife thought I was a freak as I had about a dozen little cups out one evening, adding one ingredient to my 'base' rub, searching for what I thought was missing. I found it and have "locked" that rub in. But that searching is 1/2 the fun. I get to do something similiar to BBQ sauce tonight!

I do purchase a rub that I absolutely love on poultry. Jane - you ever heard of Feugo in Tuscon with chef Alan Zeman? He sells a rub that I love.

But at the end of the day, I'd rather make my own rubs.

Back