Teriyaki oysters

Skip Felts

There's a place along Hood Canal that sells the best smoked oysters I've ever had, near Hama Hama. I tried to re-create their teriyaki version. Buy supersmall oysters, soak overnight in Kikoman teriyaki sauce. Then heat them in the sauce for just a couple minutes, until they start to curl. Rinse, and put in a brine of 1/2 cup pickling salt, 1/4 cup molasses and a glug of brandy, with two quarts cold water and ice. Put in fridge for one hour. Dry on racks for at least two hours, patting dry occasionally. Put about 3/4 chimney of briquets in WSM with three chunks, maybe apple or alder or teak. Let it go for about 20 minutes. Put oysters on skewers and spray racks with Pam. Put in WSM crossways on racks. Baste quickly with teriyaki sauce about every 15 minutes or so and flip. Oysters are done when they are "tight", and a bit chewy on the edges. About 2 1/2 hours at 225 or so. One of my friends said "they are the best thing I ever put in my mouth". Big words from him!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Skip Felts:
There's a place along Hood Canal that sells the best smoked oysters I've ever had, near Hama Hama. I tried to re-create their teriyaki version. Buy supersmall oysters, soak overnight in Kikoman teriyaki sauce. Then heat them in the sauce for just a couple minutes, until they start to curl. Rinse, and put in a brine of 1/2 cup pickling salt, 1/4 cup molasses and a glug of brandy, with two quarts cold water and ice. Put in fridge for one hour. Dry on racks for at least two hours, patting dry occasionally. Put about 3/4 chimney of briquets in WSM with three chunks, maybe apple or alder or teak. Let it go for about 20 minutes. Put oysters on skewers and spray racks with Pam. Put in WSM crossways on racks. Baste quickly with teriyaki sauce about every 15 minutes or so and flip. Oysters are done when they are "tight", and a bit chewy on the edges. About 2 1/2 hours at 225 or so. One of my friends said "they are the best thing I ever put in my mouth". Big words from him! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll admit, they sound good. However, the very thought of eating oysters other than raw on the half shell or fried just seems so.....wrong. Granted, growing up and living most of my life on Cape Cod seafood is one of those things where traditional is king.

I goofed. This forum is for BBQ techniques. My post belonged under recipes. Still learning...

I understand your respect for tradition Chris. Every year Shelton WA has Oysterfest on the first weekend of Oct. There are 40-50 seperate preparations. The lesson to me has been there's no wrong way...but try my oyster-smoke-sweet version sometime. The taste will be with you all day.

Back