Tenderness & the "Butter Test"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Etheridge

TVWBB Super Fan
OK, this is probably a dumb question but alot of the posts I read something like "it's done when you take a toothpick and it feels like the toothpick is going through butter."

My question is...How warm is the butter?

Is it "soft" in that the butter has been sitting on the counter for an hour or so? Or is it just right out of the fridge (not the freezer but the fridge)?
-------------------------
Mark WAR EAGLE!!

I'd say you're looking at butter that has been sitting at room temp for 1 hour 28 mins. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Kidding a little. It's a feel thing for sure, and you have to play with it a little to get it right. For me, there's just the smallest amount of resistance, then smooth. No effort required, etc, etc.

I'm sure this doesn't help, but it's probably a bit different for everyone. Practice, practice, practice. (This goes along with checking steak doneness by pressing it with your finger to see how firm it is.....)

R

A probe will go in with almost no resistance on a perfectly cooked brisket. I does not sound possible until you do it. Just like soft butter (55*).

Mark
It's like the very first time you went fishing. How will I know if I have one on? And they always say you will know, and you did.

It's like going through room temp butter.

Rich
Up north here it takes 1 hour 39 mins! Oh that's right your down there in the tropics!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back