temprature control trouble today

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I picked up three racks of spares on the lower rack and all the tips on the upper rack in the 22 today with a fire that has stabilized at 254. I cant get it to come down and want to spray but am afraid of letting too much oxygen in taking the top off.

I'm using a rub with lots of brown sugar so it would be desirable to cook low and slow and not burn them up.

I fired up using minion method with about 15-20 coals to start

Its about 80 and sunny and the smoker is in the sun but shade will hit it in about a half hour so I'm hoping that might help a bit but all vents have been closed for an hour now and i moved from 249-254.

It seems like I cant choke it enough to get the temps down and have too hot a fire... I have an old BBQ Guru Cyber Q on it to ramp up and only had it open 1/4 way and the top vent the same ... it came up to 230 and stayed there then crept up.

thanks in advance for any ideas!!

Sun makes a big difference on an empty black WSM. Depending on OTA you could be well over 120 or too hot to touch. It's 93 here .
Add fire and you will get a spike.
Did it come down when the shade happened.?

The shade helped allot.. eventually came down to 235 and I could spray with apple juice and I could pull some if the tips pieces out and i still must have overfired because most of the cook I have had to have the vents closed all the way! I'm not wrapping just cooking them out.

Back