Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Since I posted my first question, about turkey, last month, I've done my first three smokes. Spare Ribs, A Butt, and a mix of baby backs, sausages, and chicken.

They all came out great but I have a temp question. While trying to figure a permanent thermometer system, I've (temporarily?) stuck the candy T-mometer in the top vent. On each of my three smokes, I've had to close all three bottom vents half-way or more and still am pushing a reading of near 300. Probably hard to diagnose, but does that seem like it might be a bad thermometer (seems to be within 10 degrees at the boiling point) or might it be something else? Any thoughts. Any thoughts or personal experiences in the hunt for YOUR temp control choices?

Thanks.

Tim Harrigan

Hi Tim,

I'm relatively new here but I'm not suprised you're pushing 300 with all 3 vents 50% open.

I rarely get all 3 of my vents open more than 33% when I'm trying to maintain 225 to 250. In fact a lot of the time I've got at least one vent closed. (Uless I'm doing a really long cook and ashing over or running a little low on fuel)

Just for comparison this link will take you to a cook Chris Allingham posted where he lists his vent open %. Notice during the entire long cook he's pretty much always at 33%.

brisket cook w/vent open settings

Tim:

As Rob stated...not surprised with your results. I usually have 2 closed and only bout 30-40% of one open. Doesn't take much.

Like Keith said.... I am way too lazzy to keep up with all three vents. When the temps are on the rise, all three are open , but before I peak I shut them off and reg the temp with only one vent. If it is real cold/windy I may open more vents.

Rick

Tim,
I always use the MM. Don't know what method yor are using. Takes me about an hour to get up to temp. In the beginning, I had a therm in my dome. I relied on Chris's degree list on difference between the grates and the dome. It worked out great. Since then I use Taylor probes on the top grate.

I always go with 15-18 lit coals with the MM starting off with all 3 vents open. When I am getting close to 200, I shut down two of the vents and keep the vent that is opposite of the way the wind is blowing open. Then I start backing this vent down to get to my desired temp. I only adjust this vent to maintain my temp.

This isn't rocket science, it's cue. Sounds like you are off to a great start. Try holding your temp with one vent. It might work for you. Remember, it is always a lot easier to bring your temp up then to bring it down.

Mike

You're all down near Sea Level. Up here at mile high altitudes I usually ran with all 3 wide open and the door propped partway open.

When I took the WSM down to Phoenix last Christmas (1,000 foot) I started with all 3 vents open and was shocked at the high temps that a little oxygen in the atmosphere produced.

Using different charcoal will also make a big difference if you're ever forced to use a different brand.

You'll get to know how your WSM acts with a few more smokes.

Tim,
I don't know what method you are using to light your WSM, but...
You are probably starting with too much lit charcoal. The method suggested in the BRITU ribs had my vents all but closed the entire time. Try using the Minion Method and no more than 12 coals lit.
Hope this helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You are probably starting with too much lit charcoal. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
That would be my guess or you have an air leak somewhere. Try starting off with 10 lit coals, add your meat and let the temp gradually rise with all vents 100% open until you get to a dome temp of 200*. Then close the vents by 50%, until you get to within 10* of your ideal dome temp. Then close all three bottom vents about 75%. If your temp continues to rise after that you most likely have an air leak somewhere. Two more questions, are you using water or sand? Briquettes or Lump? Sand is less relentless with temp spikes, if you are using water and your temp gets too high, throw a few ice cubes in the water to help cool your pit down. Also people who use lump have said it burns a bit hotter than briquettes. I don't know, I have never used lump. Hope this helps!
icon_biggrin.gif

Tell us your firing method. When the temp has a hard time coming down then it is already to hot. It is easier to control the temp on the way up then trying to bring it down! Minion Method should be used to solve this problem.

If you are already doing the MM then you are letting the temp get to high before you are making your vent adjustments! 50% is way to much!

I think everyone is giving great advice. My only comment is that you should at some point stick the thermometer in boiling water to see if it is accurate or not. I have a Taylor instant read thermometer that needs to be recalibrated every cook! I am saving my pennies for a Thermapen.

I use the MM method and have trouble getting temperatures up to 250.

Fill the ring full of charcole, dump a chimney full of lit coals on top wait about 15-20 minutes with top 2 peices off. Put tops on, fill waterpan and leave all vents open and have to work to get temp up to 250. Once up to temp 225-25- leave all vents open and it maintains temp well. Sometimes have to hang the door about 2 inches up to get temps bsack up to 225 if they drop down. Seems like holding temps down is usually the problem. Any opinions?

Thanks Brian

Larry--
No cheese filled pineaple for the Packer victory. But someday.

Your not putting the charcoal pan right on top of the charcoal (like Bobby Flay) are you?

With what you discribed, you should be COOKING! A full chimney of lit coals to start the Minion Method. Man, you should have some heat.

Brian, I have that problem occasionally - usually when I'm using charcoal that has been open for a few weeks during a time of high humidity. I've concluded that it probably has to do with imperceptably-damp charcoal.

As others have recommended, check your thermometer as well. Swish the probe around in a water/crushed ice slurry and look for 32, then in boiling water and look for 212. Amazing how far off some of these things can be sometimes.

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Keith, ALL:

Peoples Republic of Massachusetts (Profile Updated)

Thanks for the good advice - will switch to Minion method.

PS. Does anyone MIX Kingsford and lump? (I love my lump-don't know if its just an irrational thing.)

Cheers, Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back