Temperature Problems

David_S

Hey all,

New WSM owner here. Trying to figure out if my issues are just a learning curve or maybe I'm making some mistakes. I'll try to give you as much information as possible.

1. Two cooks so far, same recipe, ribs (2 racks, on the top grate) @ 275 for two hours then about 1 1/2 hours foiled; i.e. texas crutch
2. First cook: 2 chimneys full of unlit charcaol, ~ 3 tennis ball chunks of wood on the outside, about 20 briquettes of lit K original spread out on top evenly. Assemble smoker, waited about one hour before adding ribs.

3. Second cook: 1 2/3 chimneys full of unlit charcoal, ~ 3 tennis ball chuncks of wood on the outside, about 11 briquettes of lit K original spread out on the top evenly. Assemble smoker, waited about one hour before adding ribs.

4. Both cooks, foiled top and bottom of water pan (new 2010 bigger style) with no water.

5. When I first got the WSM I made sure the middle section mated to the bottom section and made several small tweaks so I think I acheived a fairly nice air tight fit. It shipped a bit out of round. I also did the same to the door. The cooker seems to be fairly air tight with no obvious areas letting in air. I get a minor amount of smoke around the lid in the beginning and it almost completely goes away, with the occasional wisp coming out and through the door I get hardly anything but the occasional wisp of smoke.

6. I'm using the ET 73 (?) temperature probe with only the probe attached to the grate, no probe in the meat.

7. I constructed a wind shield out of three thin pieces of plywood and hinges and the smoker in both cases was protected well from the winds. In the first cook zero wind. Moderate occassional breezes in the second cook.

My problem is that temperatures aren't acting as I expected from everything I've read on this board. It's nowhere near the impression I get from people that you just set and forget.

In both cases with all three vents open on the smoker when I went to add the ribs the smoker had only achieved ~ 240-255F. On my first attempt I mistakenly let the temperature severely overshoot my target of 275F because I misread some of the examples that a good starting point would be that the 3 bottom grates should be at 25% once you were 25F below your target temperature. I thought this meant 25% closed but looking back I now realize this means only 25% open. So on my first cook the temperature got up to about 355F and I had a heck of a time geting it back down to 275F. By the time I finally did get it down (I finally just closed all the bottom grates) my cook time of 2 hours (~ 3 hours of assembled cooker time) was up and I needed to foil the ribs.

In my second cook I was a lot more aggressive and once I hit 250F, I really choked down the vents but still ran up to 300F and then back down to 250F and then final got it to hold at ~ 280F. But by this time I was already 1 hour and 30 minutes into having the ribs on the cooker.

So my first question is:

Is this normal? Does it take you guys 2 1/2 hours to get your smoker to achieve a stable temperature using the minion method? Also, bringing it down seems to be very slow. Typical?

My final question revovles around opening the smoker. I'm just following a recipe and it says to open the smoker, add brown sugar and honey to the ribs, foil and put back on. I know people talk about foiling in all sorts of cooks all of the time and it's quite commmon.

However, on my first attempt, I just left the cover laying on the ground while I added the brown sugar and honey and did the foiling. When I put the cover back on the temperature at the top grate had climbed to over 400F. In fact it pegged the display on the temperature probe to read HHH.

On my second attempt. I removed the ribs, replaced the cover, then preped the ribs, removed the cover, put the ribs back on the grate and replaced the cover. This time the grate temperature rose to 350F. I closed two vents completely and left the third just barely cracked. In the next 1 1/2 hours the temperature slowly fell but it was still at 296F when I pulled the ribs.

Everything I read seems to indicate that opening your smoker adds to your cooking time. However, I've got some pretty strong evidence that it actually speeds up the cooking time because it REALLY raises the temperature at the grate. I'm assumming this is because of the huge rush of oxygen to the coals.

Am I just over reacting. Too much fuel? I eventually want to start trying some longer smokes using 225-250F but I'm a little hesitant to believe I can get the smoker to run this cool. Also, I've read of several people indicating they can run their smoker not using water and I'd like to do the same. I went looking for a clay saucer but it's winter here and all the home improvement stores have pretty sparse pickings in the home and garden sections.

Just looking for some guidance.

Welcome David, WOW, that was a lot and I've got to admit I'm a but confused. I think you're saying that your cooker is running hot, but then I went back and read this comment it it seems like it wasn't hot enough for you when you added your ribs, "In both cases with all three vents open on the smoker when I went to add the ribs the smoker had only achieved ~ 240-255F. On my first attempt I mistakenly let the temperature severely overshoot my target of 275F because I misread some of the examples that a good starting point would be that the 3 bottom grates should be at 25% once you were 25F below your target temperature."

I'm going to go with my original thought that you're issue is too high of temps.

When your cooker is new she'll run a bit hot. You're not using a water heat sink so it will take longer for temps to drop.

While many do run as you have without any heat sink I use a clay saucer as I find it's easier for me to maintain temps, especially on smaller cooks where you're only doing a couple of racks of ribs vs. say 20 lbs of cold butts. I know you mentioned it's slim pickings due to it being winter but I'd still keep looking.

How long does it take the cooker to get up to temp? Depending on what's in her I'd say on average 45 min. to an hour. I'd recommend putting your meat on when you dump your lit coals, that way you don't have to take the lid off, add your meat and then get your temps where you want them again. Easier just to do that once.

Regarding removing the lid for basting etc.; I no longer do this, now I put the meat on, close her up and open about when I think they're done. When I would baste, foil etc. I would limit the length of time I would have the lid off. If I know I was going to have the lid off for a few minutes I would also close the bottom vents while the lid was off. Seemed to help.

I think I hit on all your questions but if not I'm sure someone else will wander by and address the items I missed.

Hi, I have a 22.5 WSM with about a dozen cooks on it. What I find is it gets tighter the more you use it. It ran hot at first but mine is really stable right now.

I like to keep it around 240 and I start shutting vents a little earlier then you mentioned, around the 210 mark and it will settle in at 240 in about about 45-60 minutes. I usually don't open it for the next 5 hours but opening it up lets in a lot of oxygen and that can let it get away from you.

I start mine minion method, using a 28oz tomato can, both ends cut off and set in the middle of the lump. I use about 15-20 lit briquettes. Keep cooking on it and it will get better. Good luck.

Thanks for both responses. To add a little clarification.

I'm most concerned about the wild swings in temperature - 100 F in some cases. But some of the comments seem to make sense.

Maybe instead of allowing the smoker to come up to temp and then opening the lid and adding the 2 racks of ribs, I'll just put the ribs on when I initially assemble the lit smoker, because in both cooks the temperature went high shortly after opening and adding the ribs so it might be due to that. Also, I'm still looking for a clay saucer, I like the idea and I'll think it will meet my needs.

David you have already got some great advice.

I use a clay saucer too and havent used water in a while. I ALWAYS put my meat on when i have lit the smoker. I think the average time for my wsm to hit 250 is about 30 min. If im looking for a target temp of 275 i close down the vents @ 250 to maby 10% opend and i might even close one of them if its windy(the one in the wind direction ofc) Now i start looking at my maverik to se if i stall the temp before 275 or if it rising faster then i like(then i shut vents even more) If my target temp is 275 im ok with 265 - 285 np.

The thing is to let the cooker set after a vent change and not run out and make small changes every 10 min then its really hard to dial it in.

Give it some time and you will lern how your cooker works.

Good luck in the future!

What is the lid temp? As long as that's between 215-265 thru most of the cooking, that's fine.

You can place a whole series of probes throughout the smoker and they will read all over the place.

Lid temp and a digital probe for food temp is a consistent method.

David, Welcome to the forum. "Practice makes perfect", or as close as we mortals are ever going to get. You have already found out that overshooting your desired temp is a bummer, in that it takes a lot more time and effort to get the temps down again. You have also learned that keeping the lid off the cooker will raise the temp, this may not always be the case however. I find many times that the temp drops. You have also learned something about the minion method. In My Opinion, it has proven to work best for me to add the hot coals to only one corner of the cold to start. I know that there are no corners in the round coal ring but... I load the ring with cold coals, never have measured how much, I just fill her up. I leave an indentation with coals only on the very bottom of the ring right in front of the door. I then add my hot coals, not too many, into that indentation. In this way only a few coals get hot at once. With your method of spreading the hot all over the cold you may be creating more hot than you really want, hence when you take the lid off the increased air ignites the hot coals even more.
So watch your temps on the way up, I close down my vents alot starting 50 degrees or so before my target. Once I hit my target I let the cooker settle for 15-20 min. I personally don't add my meat till all has settled and I am burning a clean fire. Just my method but it works for me.

You will develope your own best method and you will be telling others how you do it in the not too distant future.

Happy Smokin'

Mark

David, you have all the right advice, so let me add this. Yesterday, on a LONG cook, I had to add hot coals after 13 hours. I added too many (be conservative if you have to do this) and the temp shot up really fast. I found the best way to get it down and keep my temps about right was to close the bottom vents and lift the lid off for about 10 seconds and then replace it. What happens is the the surge of hot air comes off the coals preventing fresh air from getting to them. When the lid is replaced the temp goes down a bit until the heat builds again. Repeat for what seems like forever. This keeps your meat from being super heated (my butt actually only went up 1 degree through all this) while lowering the coal temps faster.

I was trying to get the lid temp to stay under 275. Once it did that, then I started trying to get it down to 225, rising only to 250 or so.

Now this isn't the solution you were looking for, but it may help you if you get in the super heat situation again. (I prevented the temp from ever reaching 350 and, believe me, it was headed there FAST.)

Rich

Actually.. the best part of all of the smoking adventures we do.. We all seem to take a little this, a little that..and end up with our own perfect method. no right, no wrong. always enjoyable.

hey.. has there been a TVWB cookoff/meeting anywhere?

It was mentioned once or twice - years ago - but no, Would be cool though, would it not?

Back