Temperature probe problems

Steve Burch

TVWBB Fan
Ok, Three pork butt cooks in a row now (with the Stoker) I've had meat temp proble problems. I've used THREE different probes and digital displays (the stokerprobe with stoker unit (CALIBRATED), a Pampered Chef one my wife has, and a Walmart one.

All three times the pork butt gets to about 180 degrees and then after I move the probe it DROPS like a stone to the 160 range and sits there for HOURS and HOURS... after being on the smoker for about 12-14 hours.

I've given up on internal temps and just go for when the bone seems like it will pull out cleanly.

ALL the cooks have turned out good meat (except the first that was overcooked because I was watching internal temps and let it on for HOURS after it was probably cooked for pulling.

ANY ideas on what could be happening? If it was ONE thermo, I'd just think it was off.... but THREE, all calibrated in boiling water??

Do I just need to get a Therma-pen?

You could be hitting fat deposits which are a-plenty in the butts. Are these bone in or boneless?

How long before you hit the 160 wall? Could be the normal plateau which can last for hours and hours.

Also, have you calibrated these bad boys in boiling water just to be 100% sure?

That said, can't argue against a thermapen, just got one myself a couple weeks ago and couldn't be happier with it. Just be aware that this is a faulty excuse for rationalizing the purchase.
icon_biggrin.gif

These are BONE IN, and like I said... I'm not hitting a plateau.... I get good readings Slowly climbing to about 180-190 until I move the thing... then, no matter where I put the probe (usually cooking two butts and trying the probe in both and getting no more then 160-170 for HOURS and HOURS) I end up just going to the "done by the bone" method and they come out just fine.

The first butts I dried out I was still reading about 170- after 17+ HOURS at 230-250 degrees in the summer outdoor temps. The temp never moved more then a degree or two over 4+ hours (after reading almost 185 five hours earlier and from past experience I figured they HAD to be done... they were OVER done and dry.... but still tasty heated up with some apple juice.

I usually start checking temps at 12 hours and pull them to rest at 13-14 hours.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rick Soli:
Throw it in the garbage and buy a box of toothpicks and a few long wood skewers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have both... but haven't even used them since I've been able to tell just from wiggling the bone.

I'm just wondering what the heck could be happening to me?

Well why are you moving the probe at 180-190 hell 6 more degrees and they are done. Just pull them and wrap in foil.
As for your probes I know the papered chef and the walmart cant be left in a hot cooker or oven for an extended period of time. I think we have all learned this and you will get inaccurate readings.
I am not familiar with the stoker so I cant comment on this.
You may be hittng the bone or a pocket of fat but a 20 degree difference would be strange. Also what is your pit temp. Maybe you are just hitting a plateu at the 10-12 hour mark and yes that 160 point can feel like forever.
Put them all in boiling water and get back to me with the temps.

Back