Temperature Logging Thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard some people fantasize about having a barbecue thermometer that can log cooker and meat temperatures automatically, then upload the data to a computer. Well, I've found it.

It's the ETI 1305 Logging Thermometer sold by ThermoWorks. Let's get the price out of the way: $450, plus another $75 for the "oven probe", a 78" long, Teflon-coated, high-temp cable with a stainless steel handle and probe at the end. You stick it in the meat during cooking, just like a Polder probe. It handles two probes, so you can monitor the cooker and a meat, or two meats at once.

Obviously, this goes in the category of "he who dies with the most toys wins". But there may be some serious barbecue competitors out there for whom money is no object, and this unit might make sense.

Here's the description:

This 2-channel thermometer gives you on-board storage for 6000 readings. You record temperature, date and time on-demand or at preset intervals from 1 second to 24 hours. After a log session, you connect to your PC's serial port and download the readings. Easy-to-use Windows software allows you to graph your readings or view them in table format. The logger can also send readings to the software in real time for continuous data acquisition to your PC. Includes thermocouple logger, software, serial cable, 9 to 25 pin converter, and carrying case.
This is a serious unit. Here are the specs:

• Range: -328 to 2498*F
  • Accuracy: +/-0.1% of reading +/-1*C
  • Sensor: thermocouple types K,J,T or E
  • Resolution: 0.1*C or F
  • Power: 6 AAA batteries or optional AC adaptor
  • Battery life: 72 hours
  • Alarm: settable hi/lo alarm with audible signal and digital alarm jack for external triggering
  • Size: 7.6" x 3" x 1.5", 13 oz.

The company also offers a wide variety of other probe styles and even makes custom probes to order.

Available from:

ThermoWorks
221 S. Country Manor Lane
Alpine, UT 84004
801-756-7705
800-393-6434

Regards,
Chris

P.S. For the record, I'm not affiliated with this product in any way, nor do I own one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back