Temperature Difference in Butt (quick advice appreciated)

Sean Ruff

TVWBB Member
Need some (quick) advice. Anybody ever run into a situation where a butt had about a 30 degree temperature difference in which the highest temperature is 195 and the lowest is about 165 (bone side). I thought about just cutting the butt and leaving the 165 portion on the smoker but I a afraid that I will loose a lot of moisture. Of course, I really don't see any other options. Any thoughts????

Sean

Reinsert your thermometer in the thickest part of meat, ensuring you are not touching the bone and use that temperature. You should not have varying temperatures like you stated. I'm guessing you may have been in a fat pocket or touching the bone.

Thanks for the quick reply Larry. Yeah, I'm not sure what is going on. The butt itself is long and was fairly mangled on the side without the bone and was almost sliced through. I'm not sure what happened to it. Anyway, it is about 8 pounds I have a six pounder beside it. The six pounder, after approximately 11 hours is 175 to 180 throughout. The larger 8 pounder though is the one with the temperature difference with the mangled side in the low to mid 190's and the bone side in the mid 160's. The 160's side is, as you would expect, noticeablly tougher than the side that has exceeded 190. Never run into this problem before.

do you have the butt wrapped in foil? If not..Id wrap for an hour then take temp. If that bone slides right out it will be done. Have you tried to wiggle the bone out yet?

Thanks Gary. Yes, I just wrapped in foil and will wait and see what happens. I did try and wiggle and it was not ready to pull out (some of the stuff we write really sounds funny). Of couse, in the end, how bad could it be right!

Ha, yes i know. Good deal. Post your results. If it didnt wiggle right out...you have at least another hour. I bet it will turn out great. what are you taking temps with? If you dont have a thermapen..buyone! I used some piece of chit probes in the past and they threw me off a few times. I hate cheap chit!
icon_eek.gif

Back