Temperature Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
I put 4 8lb Picnics on at 8pm by 10pm the temp was up to 220. I sent my vents and went to bed. Woke up at 4:30 and it was pouring down rain. The temperature was down to 170*, I opened the vents and got the temp right back up to 240*. Not sure how long it had been raining and how long the temperature was that low. I added hot water at 6am, and checked the meat temp, it was only a little over 140*. I thought it would/should be higher???? Should I be concerned, ten hours into the cook and the meat is only a little over 140*?

Larry, I have done pork butts numerous times. You do not have anything to worry about. Here is what I have learned on this web-site. It is not the size or poundage of the meat, it is all about breaking down the inter connective tissues. My butts average 20 hours, almost to a T. I start them @ 5 p.m. and at @ 11 p.m. I fill water, baste, turn and ensure temps, then go to bed. At @7 a.m. I get up and check and they usually are in the 160 degree range. From 160 - 180 you are in for a long wait, as the meat is in the "temperature plataue" region. It just takes hours because the internal fat is rendering out and cooling down the meat. When the meat hits 170 degrees, I foil, stir coals and let them go until the magic 190 - 195 internal is met. I like to foil before stirring the coals so no ash gets on the meat and because pretty much, the smoke penetration is complete. Hope this explains...BigIr

CORRECTION! Okay now everyone knows I am not too bright. I said I was 10 hours into the cook. Actually 10pm to 6am is only 8 hours!!! lol

I wish I was as smart as I am good looking!!! lol

I don't cook picnics, only butt end of shoulders. I would think it would be about the same though.

30 lbs. + of meat is alot of mass. Probably in the "plateau" now.

Just check you remaining usable fuel. You might have to add some lit coals to get the WSM back up to temp.

Or, just stir the remaining coals to remove some of the ash buildup.

If you are in a time crunch, foil the picnics when they reach about 165 to 175 degrees internal. This will speed things up a bit.

Also can use "saran" wrap and then foil. This method will reduce the "bark" that some folks desire.(recommend using ONLY the original SARAN wrap due to temp issues)

Have a great holiday weekend!

Jim

Thanks BigIr! I was just concerned that the heat had dropped on the cooker to 170* and I wasn't sure how long it was that low. Thanks for the reassurance.

Larry, I just noticed where you hail from, and your motto: Skins fan. I have been a redskin fan for 30 years, and am VERY excited to get Coach Gibbs back!!!! The NFC east looks VERY tough this year...Alot of great coaches, and from the Spurrier debockle you can see how important coaching is....BigIr

Thanks Jim! No time crunch here today, I took off work just to cook this meat. I have only used about half of the fuel I had originally started off with. I completely filled the ring with Kingsford and about 6 fist size chunks of hickory. I planned on a 20 hour cook, since picnics tend to take a bit longer than butts. The only reason I used picnics this time was the price and the quantity I needed. Stupid me, I originally planned on doing 6 picnics in the same WSM. I HAVE NOT IDEA WHAT I WAS THINKING! Thanks for the input. You have a great holiday too. The sun is coming out here, it is going to be a beautiful day and............."it's five o'clock somewhere"!!! Bloody Mary anyone??

BigIr, I am a "Diehard Skins Fan" and I had to admit it but I haven't missed a game in the past 10 years. Gibbs, will make a huge diffence. He automatically makes them a better team before they even hit the field. Gives me goose bumps thinking about the season. Yes you are very right, Parcells, Reid, Coghlan and Gibbs!!! The NFC should once again be the dominant division!

Sounds like you got a handle on things Larry! I wish I was off work today! Cook on!

Have a good'un.

Jim

Sounds like it's going fine, Larry.

Another Skins fan here. I'm a native Washingtonian (still in Arlington) so I'm definitely excited about Joe Gibbs!

If you are going to do many overnighters (like I do), you might want to consider getting a remote thermometer with an alarm (like the ET-73) or a BBQ Guru, or both (which is what I do now).

Susan,
Yeah everything is under control now. I have hit a huge plateau though. Still only at 170* after 15 hours. Go Skins!

Jim,
I have had a remote thermometer with the beeper on order through Yahoo since the beginning of April. It is on back order. They are holding my rib racks with it to cut the cost of shipping. Go figure. I am considering cancelling the order and getting one from the store.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Ir:
[qb]...From 160 - 180 you are in for a long wait, as the meat is in the "temperature plataue" region. It just takes hours because the internal fat is rendering out and cooling down the meat...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The rendering fat is not the reason the plateau happens in this range. It has to do with the temperature Delta between the cooker air and the mass of meat. Basically since you're cooking at such a low temperature as the meat rises in temperature the cooker air starts to be just a bit hotter than the meat so temperature increase begins to slow.

Same plateau would happen if you put a bowling ball in there and smoked it at 225*F.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Same plateau would happen if you put a bowling ball in there and smoked it at 225*F. [/QB] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Mmmmmm.... bowling ball.....

I wonder what kinda rub would you use for bowling ball? Maybe someone should post a BBBITU recipe. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Use whatever kind of rub you want on the bowling ball, use water or sand, but do not, I repeat DO NOT, use foil. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back