Temperature advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graham M

TVWBB Member
Thanks to the information and friendly nature of this website, I am now the proud owner of a WSM. I have my thermometers and am almost ready to start, however, being in the UK, my thermometers are in Centigrade.
I am preparing a 'Ready Reckoner' conversion chart (Centigrade to Fahrenheit) to laminate and have for easy reference. Is there a definitive list of temperatures of doneness for the popular items, i.e. Brisket, Pork butt, Ribs, Chicken etc.
I was thinking of colour coding my chart at these points for easy reference.

Thanks in advance
Graham M

Just do a search on yahoo. I tried it and got too many results to look at. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

You can find one that will probably suit your needs. Lots of charts. Some display C and F scale.

Internal poultry temps ar pretty much a constant, but beef and pork depends on the individuals liking.(rare,medium,well,ect)

Congrats on your new WSM!!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the tip, I did exactly that, and one of the search results was for this website.
I've been 'lurking' for nearly 2 years now, and thought I knew the site back to front.
The exact information I require is in the Tips and Mods section, Usage Tips and then 'Cooking Times and Temps'.
It just goes to show, if it isn't on this site, then it probably isn't worth knowing.
Thanks again for the (very quick) response.
Graham M

Hi, Graham! Welcome to the gang!!

Here is what you are looking for.............

Ribs......185-190?(these are hard to measure so use other method I discuss below).

Pork Butt....pulled, 190+?, sliced 175-180?

Brisket or chuck roast.....180-200?(no such thing as rare, medium or well done on this cut of beef)

Chicken...160? breast, 180? thigh

Pork loin or tenderloin....145-155?

Now, you can check for doneness in another way that does not use a thermo. Simply find a metal probe...thermometer stem, etc......poke that into the meat. For ribs, butt and brisket you should have little to no resisitance. I still use a thermo for chicken and pork loins/tenderloins.

Hope this helps!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back