Temp problems today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ

TVWBB Fan
Help. I have 2 eight lb butterflied chickens on the lower rack and 3 racks of ribs in the upper rack. I filled the chamber full of charcoal at 1:15pm using the minion method. It's now been an hour and a half and the temperature won't go over 200. It's been hovering at 190-200 the whole time. I have all vents open 100%. There's no breeze and its 90 degrees out and sunny. The waterpan is 75% full. Why won't my temp come up and is it OK that the meat is smoking at this temp? I've never had this problem. Maybe there's not enough air getting to my coals.

If your daring, take the cooker apart and reduce the water to 25%. Button the cooker back up and leave the door off for about 15 minutes or so. If you have a hair dryer, shoot some air in with the door off. This should start the coals back up again.
Keep removing the door and measuring temperature until your at desired temps.

Jim

Open the side door and let more air flow. If the fire is just barely going use a hair dryer to get more air in. Was the charcoal wet/damp?
Frank

It's all good now. I opened the door to add water and the breeze picked up a bit and next thing you know I was up in the 260's. Had to close the bottom vents half way to keep it from climbing. I just ate the bone free section of the spare ribs, mmmm good. What is that called? It's not the skirt, it's the section of spare ribs that doesn't have any bones though and its tender. I'm using pecan, but I threw a few chunks of oak on a few mins ago just for an added variety.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ:
[qb]I have 2 eight lb butterflied chickens on the lower rack...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I know they grow everything bigger down in Texas, but 8 pound chickens are taking things a bit too far! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Regards,
Chris

IMAO..

Ty Chris..maybe because its early and I'm tired, but I couldn't stop laughing after reading your last line.

I've been searching for solutions to low temp..am trying my first overnighter 7 lb pork butt)and this is my 4th cook overall. I have the same problems as Russ. Anyway, I just thought there were some very good responses in this thread that could be of use to us new users that tend to panic (which for all I know is just me). The hair dryer solution is very interesting.

And Again..thanks for the comic relief Chris.

I may have to try the hair dryer sollution sometime to get the temps up.
My neighbors will either look at me really strange, or think that they've discovered the secret to my great BBQ /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ:
[qb] Help. I have 2 eight lb butterflied chickens on the lower rack and 3 racks of ribs in the upper rack. I filled the chamber full of charcoal at 1:15pm using the minion method. It's now been an hour and a half and the temperature won't go over 200. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>What I'm seeing is a cooker starting with 25 lbs. of cold meat in it and only a handfull of charcoal burning. That much meat is just sucking up what little heat energy is being made available to it.

With all due respect to Mr. Minion, his method is not necessarily called for in all instances, especially for cooks that require 6-7 hours or less. Fire up two full Weber chimneys or more next time you do the same cook, crank the vents down to about 33% each, and I'll bet you'll be right in the zone.

Doug D
You are right on with your observation.
I think of techniques the same as I do as tools, you need the right one for the job. When cooking chicken using lump and cooking at higher temps is the method I'm going to use.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back