temp probes

E. Mercado

I have the WSM 18.5" and got the grommets from BBQ Guru, but as everyone knows here, my Maverick ET-732 won't fit through them. Any recommendations on what other temp probe I could get that not only works and is dependable, but would also fit through the standard size grommets. I would prefer to not have to drill holes in my WSM just to accomodate the larger grommets sold by Cajun Bandit. I appreciate your insight.

Imo, no need to bother with grommets. If you are wanting to probe the meat (I never bother) put the probe wire under the lid. If you want to monitor cooktemp just stick that probe in a lid vent hole - just enough so that the probe is in the cooker, the probe wire is outside the cooker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
... put the probe wire under the lid. If you want to monitor cooktemp just stick that probe in a lid vent hole - just enough so that the probe is in the cooker, the probe wire is outside the cooker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree - cooker temp - in through the top vent hole. Meat temp - slip it under the lid. Mine has been like that for a year now with no issues.

I dont agree(go figure)
icon_wink.gif

Why? WHY? Put one under the lid and not the other? Wear and tear? No! And if you remove the lid you have to take out the temp probe? Both under the lid works perfect,and an exact reading during the whole cook...No matter how many times you remove the lid.(if you use the grate clip that is)

Everyone is free to do whatever ofc. But i just cant se Why?

icon_wink.gif

Since I don't always have room on my grate for the grate clip, I like to hang it from the lid vent for consistency.

And, when I take off the lid, I just pop the probe out of the Maverick, leaving it in place in the lid. No fuss. Works for me.

That is one legit one...I always have room on my smoker...But you could always place it under the grate.

"I like to hang it from the lid vent for consistency." does it hang in the same spot twise?

Not like the *small*temp is going to change anything...But my prope reads the same EVERYTIME!?

I could place the probe under the grate, but want to avoid meat drippings. When through the top it hangs withing a centimetre each time - I use a wooden clothes pin to clip it to the vent - my cable is nice and clean where teh clothes pin clips on making it repeatable.

Maybe it's time to upgrade to the 22" to give myself a bit more room!

icon_cool.gif

Measuring at the vent is, imo, more consistent than any other place. An 'exact' temp at the grate is not very likely as the cooker's dynamics don't allow for this at mid-level.

I'm not one to temp meat during a cook and try to discourage this.

I believe the thermoworks probes fit through the grommets. I am not sure if they work with Maverick though, but I am sure someone on this site has tried ? My uncle has a 732, I will try hooking up my thermo works probes to it and see if they work.

I don't probe my butts anymore during the cook, but when I did I ruined several probes by going under the lid over the years. I did the lamp post grommets, but I understand not wanting to drill holes if you don't have to.

Since I usually fill the WSM up with a lot of meat I have never taken the temp at the grate as a probe next to a 40° pork butt is not going to read correctly. I use a deep fry thermometer clipped to the vent. They are cheap if you break (or lose) them, and easy to calibrate with boiling water and a pair of pliers.

Hi E. Mercado and welcome to TVWBB.

Kevin is much more knowledgeable than myself so I'm glad to hear that he also recommends dropping a probe through the top vent. I do that on all of my cookers except my WSM in which I have installed an ordinary grommet that fits both probes form my ET-73. (Unlike Kevin, I still like a probe in the meat though I would like to hear his alternate suggestion for determining when meat is done.)

I used my ET-732 for the first time last night for spares (barbeque probe only). I installed custom grommets for the wires (grommet mod). Besides the wires being damaged, I want to keep the lid seal as tight as possible. I used a piece of foil to hold the probe above the grate.

I was amazed at the temperature difference between the probe temperature and the stock WSM dome thermometer. At times it was greater than 50F different. The probe temperature at the grate was much more stable then the dome thermometer reading. I went by the ET-732 and the ribs came out great.

Bob

Reading this I am still not sure about the maverick 732 or a thermometers in top vent.

Seems like there is two camps here. Both seem to work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve_Williams:
Reading this I am still not sure about the maverick 732 or a thermometers in top vent.

Seems like there is two camps here. Both seem to work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes they do. Any temperature reading is better than no reading. You will learn how the food cooks depending on the temperature you read and that will help you to get better results on future cooks.

I record both lid (Weber) temperature and grate (ET-73) temperature when I smoke. Either one would probably be sufficient but one requires that I go outside to take a reading. When I'm cooking indirect in one of my kettles, I'll frequently drop the ET-73 probe through one of the lid vents to monitor temperature.

I bought a maverick 73. I was excited to use it. But after I played with it, I did not like the on/off switch in side the unit.

Using my meat probe from a old unit that I dangled in the cooker just below the first grate. As you said it helped me a lot even if it was not exactly right.

Thinking about getting the 732..........

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve_Williams:
I bought a maverick 73. ... I did not like the on/off switch in side the unit.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what keeps the switch inside the sealed portion of the unit and helps to make it water proof. Looks like the ET-732 uses a push button so it doesn't have that issue.

Yes, i am a gadget geek like many here. Returned the Maverick 73 and ordered the Maverick 732.

Too late to test this weekend but will try for next weekend.

I only use the food probe for certain meats. BUt I do have a system. I have an ET732 but I also still have my old ET73 and it still works. So I drop the chamber probe of my 732 through the top vent - and when necessary I run my 73 food probe under the lid. That way if I need to remove the lid for a quick baste or spritz, I can do it without having to rework everything. And running the probe lead under the lid hasn't damaged my probes. But just to be sure I ordered the high heat probes. They are a little thicker than the standard leads and 6 feet long instead of only 3 feet.

Back