Temp plateau

Jeff Fried

I am at the 15 hour mark with my 9 lb pork picnic and we are at 170 degrees, grill running at 240. I cannot imagine the meat getting to 195 at this rate anytime in the distant future. Panic, relax or take alternative measures?

Relax, It'll get there. Good things come to those who wait.
icon_wink.gif

I'm guessing you're in the "converting energy into yummies" phase, so relax. Drop a little Kahlua and/or Bailey's into the coffee and wait for the goodness to come.

It may plateau again after 160/170 from other's reports, but once mine break through, they climb slow and steady.

Sounds like a perfect smoke! Not to worry, once you beat the 180 plateau your meat temp will move right on up.

Don't fret - that's the yumminess being created.

I got up this morning... 2 butts at 178. WSM running a bit hot at 260. Closed vent and added water. Came down to 240. Went to church for three hours. WSM at 230. Meat at 170.

Finally got out of the plateau about 5 hours later. Now at 192 and about to come off. It will come out of it - promise. If you have guests coming over and you absolutely need to speed it up, wrap it in HD foil tightly and throw it back on the smoker. It speeds it up immensely.

- Adam

Back