temp jumping around on new 22.5

B. Turner jr.

Doing my first brisket on wsm 22.5. tropical storm Lee blowing in. not much wind now.....just some rain. outside temp 78. smoker temp was running 235-240, then down to 215-220. did the minion meth. on the fire. any tips on the vent controls, top is wide open, bottom 3 closed to about 1/4 each.

B,
See what you can do about protecting it from strong wind. Strong wind blowing in the vents can cause temp spikes. Create a wind block or move it if needed. Do you have a full charcoal ring? Is this your 1st smoke on this unit? How has it handled in the past?

Paul

first smoke on this smoker,I'm going to block the wind....
the ring was full when I started.
the temp seems to be holding in the smoke range, just jumping about 10-15 degrees.
smells good.

Is the thermometer the standard built-in lid thermo? That's all I use and it always is affected by rain falling on it (understandably). I don't think there is a lot of affect to the cooking temps. May have to watch it a little more.

Good luck and hopefully the storm won't be too bad.
Peter

yes, it is the built in, also using an accurite for the internal temp, @ 147 now. the wind block is working, at 230 steady.
Took the family to Great wolf lodge in Dallas in July, found Hard Eight BBQ, man, that's some good BBQ there. I'm using the hard eight seasoning and mesquite chunks. we will find out later on...
Billy

10 to 15 degrees won't affect your final product. Usually temps are listed as a soft temp; not necessary to nail it. Qing can be very forgiving. There's several ways to achieve the final product; low and slow, high heat, foil, no foil.

Paul

Back