Temp guage placement on 22.5 OTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn W

TVWBB Guru
I'm going to install a guage on my kettle, thinking about installing on the vent side of the lid, because I dont need for grilling steaks, burgers, etc....... but for other stuff that takes 20 or more minutes.

Thoughts???

What brand would you guys recommend?

I have been using the stick thermo from my Genesis in the vent holes and it works fine but I likes thermo's mounted, they look so
icon_cool.gif

Glenn

you might consider adding the thermometer mounting as on a performer Thermometer mounting
Then drill one hole in the lid and the thermometer from you genesis fits and works well
I use this on my performer and just move thermometer from one to the other

Glen - I've mounted thermometers on all of my kettles. I put them opposite the vent on the other side of the handle. I just kinda like the symmetry of it. I've generally used Old Smokey Replacement thermometers from Academy, but I've installed Tel-True thermometers on my WSM's and they are great, and I've also picked up a couple of Weber replacement thermometers off of Ebay and added one of those to my Char-Q.

Pat

This is just me but I would use a digital thermo with the probe mounted at grate level. Think about it a minute. If you were to do a one sided fire you would want the top vent on the opposite side of the fire right? But if the thermo was mounted opposite the vent now it's right over the fire so your going to get a really high reading. So if you still plan on it put it by the handle or the vent or go with a digital with a wire probe.

I would just add that if you have or are planning to get a Slide-Aside a lid mounted thermo opposite the vent might or will tend to get hung-up.
FWIW I just use a 6" turkey fryer thermo clipped into the top vent.
HTH

Tim

I am happy with my WSM thermo opposite the vent.

IMG_1081.jpg

I got this OTS from a fellow cook that had a Te-Tru mounted near the handle and he wasn't thrilled with the placement. I used a stainless steel plug to cover the hole. (upper right of lid)

I've since drilled a hole in the plug and mounted a Genesis thermo for high temps cooks and the temp differnces between the two are only a few degrees.

IMG_1173.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back