temp controls on my new WSM

Status
Not open for further replies.

jefft

TVWBB Member
Does this make sense?

I have used my new WSM, purchased thru this website and on Amazon, two times now, and it appears to have acted the same both times.

After loading up on nicely started charcoals, I close up the vents on the bottom and the smoker struggles to go higher than 160-180 with the meat in (temperatures measured on the cooking grate are about the same as those measured through the top vents). After opening some vents and things settle down, about 3 to 4 hours later, I see a large disparity between the top vents and the cooking grate, but not in the direction you might expect. I am now measuring about 280 on the cooking grate and 230 through the top. I calibrated the two thermometers, a Polder on the grate and a Taylor through the lid, and they are close.

Is it typical for a new WSM to be so hot at the cooking grate yet not as hot at the top vents?

Is it typical for this new WSM to lower its heat so fast when all its vents are closed?

Questions from a newbie,
Jeff T.

Yes, closing all bottom vents will definitely keep your temps low or lower them dramatically.

The temp gradient you're getting is an aberration. I did not experience that with my new WSM.

Certainly if you close all the vents, you'll have low temps. The fire must have air in order to burn.

A measurement of 230? at the lid vent is perfectly normal. The temp at the grate will vary depending on the location of the thermometer. You could get a high reading if your probe is close to the side of the cooker, in the hot air flow.

I'd say your WSM is fine. I would suggest that you not choke the fire at the beginning of the cook. It's getting you off to a bad start and I can't see any reason for it.

Good luck!
Steve

My first question is whether you are using one of the methods for firing up your WSM suggested on this website. Throw away your owner's manual. Using the standard method from this website, your temps should be near 400 with a full ring of nicely lit charcoal, then close the vents to bring the temps down to cooking range. Using the Minion method, open your vents up to get the temp up to the cooking range. Based on your temps it doesn't sound like you are doing either.

As for the backward difference in temps between grate and lid, that doesn't make sence thermodynamically because heat rises, so your lid will be hotter than the grate. One possible explanation may be that your grate probe is too close the edge and is directly in heat stream that flows up the side of the WSM.

As far as the method for coals, I am using the primary method described on this web site. I have the coal tray about 2/3 full. It is possible that I a bit anxious and I start to cook too early, where there may be a bit of black showing on the top coals.

As far a measuring the temps, I have the Polder held by a block of oak in the middle of the grate. My theory on the high temps on the grate on lower temps at the top vent is that, this being a new smoker, I have some build up at the top but not much on the sides. The heat could be radiating higher in the middle, and less so at the top. If so, this will even out as I use the smoker.

Does this make sense?
Thanks for the posts,
Jeff T.

Jeff
Switch the thermometers around and see the readings remain the same, you may find that you are getting a bad reading, I personely have never had good luck with the Taylor units.
Even new, the dome temp will be warmer than grate temps if you are using a waterpan, whether it has water or sand in it.
Jim

Jeff,
I believe that Jim has hit the nail on the head, even though I use a Taylor on the dome.
Grate temperature, according to all that we know, cannot exceed dome temperature, unless somehow your WSM has contradicted the laws of physics.
While I realize that is possible, even probable under certain circumstances, I really don't believe that's what happened.
Reset your temperature probes. Recalibrate them. Then reread on your next cook.
The WSM is boringly (and gratefully) predictable. Usually, when we find something amiss on a WSM cook, it's our problem, not the cooker's.
Check your procedures. You'll usually find that you (I) did something wrong.
Good luck on the next cook.

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely try out your ideas and keep experimenting. This board has been an invaluable resource, my compliments to everybody.

Reading the items on this site has almost become an addiction. My two experiments on my WSM, back ribs and spare ribs, have both been much better than I ever achieved on my old Charbroil electric. I just couldn't get a quality smoke from that unit. Looking forward to some pork butts and eventually a brisket.

For what its worth, Brinkman has the replacement water pans on their web site for about 13 or 14 bucks. But the kicker is that they don't charge shipping.

Thanks again,
Jeff T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back