temp control

Michael Stella

TVWBB Member
THis is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while, and tried my first smoking with the Weber this past week. Both times I had temp issues. The first time I did a pork butt, that after about 7.5 to 8 hours I just couldn't keep the temp up so I had to finish in the oven. (It came out AWESOME) last Saturday I did some beef back ribs. It was slightly drizzly outside, but the temp was rock steady for about 3 hours at 240, then it started to drop, and I would adjust the bottom vents accordenly. After 6 hours I was having a hard time keeping the fire above 220 with all the bottom vents 100% open. The ribs were done at that point anyway so I pulled them, but still monitored the temp because this is all new to me, and the temp never did go above 210, and I don't know why. I started the grill using the MM.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Michael

See if anything here rings a bell.

Without further investigation, it sounds like not enough fuel, in both cases. Or possibly the misplaced water pan phenomenon.

Michael, any chance the fuel could be damp? How much fuel and what kind did you use (lump or briquette)? How many lit did you add to the top of the unlit? Are you filling the charcoal ring? Vent settings?

The WSM will go 15 - 18+ hours consistenly on one ring of fuel using the MM (with new K), at low temps. More details would help.

By the way, welcome to the board!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dennis D:
Michael, any chance the fuel could be damp? How much fuel and what kind did you use (lump or briquette)? How many lit did you add to the top of the unlit? Are you filling the charcoal ring? Vent settings?

The WSM will go 15 - 18+ hours consistenly on one ring of fuel using the MM (with new K), at low temps. More details would help.

By the way, welcome to the board! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dennis:

I was using the new K charcoal briquettes. When I started I lit an entire chimney, then dumped another chimney ontop of the lit coals and when everything was lit, I threw on three fist sized chunks of hickory and a handful of cherry wood chips and put everything together.

The top vent was always 100% open, the bottom vents started at 25%, 25%, 25%, and I adjusted accordingly to keep the temp between 225 and 250. After about 6 hours though I couldn't get the fire stoked up, even with all three bottom vents at 100%. The charcoal was bought the night before, so I don't believe it was damp. It didn't have any problems lighting and didn't seem damp to the touch.

Thanks,
Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I started the grill using the MM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> When I started I lit an entire chimney </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

These two statements are in contrast to each other. I second the vote on "not enough fuel". For long cooks, mm, fill the ring to the top and use 10-20 briquette's to start. You can also start off with a full lit chimney. Fill the ring, but leave enough room for the chimney.

You can never have too much fuel. If you have fuel left over, you can close all the vents to kill the fire and use the leftover's to start your next fire.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Stella:

When I started I lit an entire chimney, then dumped another chimney ontop of the lit coals </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not enough fuel. A full RING with some lit on top. Not two chimney's.

Sounds like you have vent control down though. Welcome.

With Kingsford you also need to be aware of ash build up. Your fire could be smothering in ash. Take a rubber mallet and tap the legs and/or charcoal bowl to give the ash a chance to fall through the bottom grate and expose the remaining charcoal to air where it will fire up again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd D.:
With Kingsford you also need to be aware of ash build up. Your fire could be smothering in ash. Take a rubber mallet and tap the legs and/or charcoal bowl to give the ash a chance to fall through the bottom grate and expose the remaining charcoal to air where it will fire up again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That is one of the things that I think I did get right on my first cooks.
icon_smile.gif

I'll be in Vegas this weekend, but next weekend I hope to smoke on Saturday, if not Saturday and Sunday. I'll be sure to use the advice I'm getting in this forum then.

Thanks,
Michael

Back